• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam timing

beanhead

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
Checking cam timing was mentioned in another thread on here, and well, not wanting to be a threadjacker... I thought I would just ask out of curiosity, is there a way to check cam timing with the engine assembled? As in just removing valve cover(s) and watching rockers & valves etc? Or suck it up and break out the degree wheel...

...fairly certain you're going to have to break out that degree wheel.
(unless there's some way I haven't heard of)

...fairly certain you're going to have to break out that degree wheel.
(unless there's some way I haven't heard of)
Thanks that's kinda what I thought too... (I don't need to check mine I just thought I might learn a new trick if there was one!)

well I suppose with a laser range finder pointed at the pushrod cup and a sensor on the distributor and a computer your could get a trace of the valve motion but a degree wheel and a breaker bar and a dial indicator would be easier
now would you use .050 lifter rise or centerlines- and how about centerlines on an asymetrical cam? (they are where the cam card says they are do not overthink this)

If the retainer heights of one cylinders intake and exhaust are exactly the same height with the valves closed. Then they will be open exactly the same height on the exhaust stroke at TDC if the cam is installed straight up.
Doug

I have used the small 9" degree wheels with the engine in the car.
Removed spark plugs and rocker arms to make adjustments and rotating engine easy.
Used dial indicator with long extension to the lifters.
Used a piston stop in the spark plug hole to locate TDC of degree wheel.
Had the radiator out makes reading degree wheel easier.
The radiator was out when I did this because swapping cams with engine in the car.

Doug's trick works only if using the same lobe on intake and exhaust

Auto Transport Service
Back