• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft Conundrum

I have a Lunati solid flat tappet cam in my car.

View attachment 1375196

The numbers make it seem pretty wild but it idles with only a slight lope. The car was faster than ever with this cam when I ran it last time. I have Howards EDM direct oiling lifters.

It is too much for a low compression stock stroke 440 but the Lunati name is a good one.
Thanks Kern, yeah your engine is a little different then mine :lol:

703 was the one recommended to me. I don’t know if it’s too much for little and 440 power brakes. I’d like a little more kick in the pants, but drivability, and fuel economy are a big concern.

A7CCCC71-79AE-4CE2-9D1C-B2B26A2F320E.png

Last edited:
I put a 702 in my 383 last year it has ported E-street heads probably about 9.8 : 1.
It has a good snarl to it.
I would recommend it but for your money the Summit cam would be very good.

I put a 702 in my 383 last year it has ported E-street heads probably about 9.8 : 1.
It has a good snarl to it.
I would recommend it but for your money the Summit cam would be very good.
I’m probably a month or 2 out of doing this, so ideas are swirling around my brain. Do I go absolutely cheap with summit, or do I take the leap to Lunati. Right now I’m feeling like screw it, go all in, a 702 or a 703 complete kit. Now I’m kinda questioning will I over power my clutch. I don’t want a snowball effect, I’d like to keep the manifolds, but I’m not opposed to headers. But I’m definitely keeping vacuum brakes, and I’d hate to have to buy another clutch.

I haven’t wanted to mention this, because I know sound isn’t always power. I think the best way to put it is, I wouldn’t mind a meaner sounding engine as a side effect of what cam I’m going with. Not an obnoxious lumpty lumpty, just a little oh that car sounds like it means business.

This is my 440-493 idling around 1000 rpms with the '528 solid. It sounds pretty tame!

The 528 Mopar solid has 028/032" lash. You rarely see that large lash these days, most are tighter lash. Large lash does not mean bad or outdated but............with that amount of lash, you need to remove about 0.015* @ 050 to compare to an equivalent hyd lobe. So the 528 is 241 @ 050, would perform similarly to a 226 @ 050 hyd cam. A nice, balanced cam for street use.
Notice also while talking about the 528.......& it's Mopar brothers....all the MP cams are single pattern. Hmm....why is that?

I’m probably a month or 2 out of doing this, so ideas are swirling around my brain. Now I’m kinda questioning will I over power my clutch. I don’t want a SNOWBALL EFFECT, I’d like to keep the manifolds, but I’m not opposed to headers. But I’m definitely keeping vacuum brakes, and I’d hate to have to buy another clutch.
It already started. We all are guilty of just wanting a little more and a little more. After that we look back and realize all we started out doing was a cam change. Lol

I forgot to ask @Don Frelier how was the vacuum with Lunati?
I put the lunati voodoo 703 into my 383 about 1 1/2 years ago. I have power brakes. I had to set idle speed to 950-1000 to get 14 in. vac. The brakes work well with that and the idle sounds good. I have all original parts so I haven't experienced the full power potential of this cam. Hope this helps.

I put the lunati voodoo 703 into my 383 about 1 1/2 years ago. I have power brakes. I had to set idle speed to 950-1000 to get 14 in. vac. The brakes work well with that and the idle sounds good. I have all original parts so I haven't experienced the full power potential of this cam. Hope this helps.
Are you using hp manifolds, or headers?

the engine is a 383 magnum and have the hp exhaust manifolds, original intake with carter 625cfm performance series carb. and 27" tires.
Only reason I asked is because some people say it’s stock, but then start listing changes :lol: .

Like I mentioned, I’m not opposed to headers, just not right now

My best friend, now deceased, bought a 62 Dodge [ post #37 ] in 1977 from the original owner. It got a 440 & was a daily driver for 20+ years. It is still around.

Auto Transport Service
Back