• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft valve spring help

cwhubb

Reaction score
I have a set of hughes engines 1106 springs, will they work with the mp 252 @50, 557 lift @ 1.5 solid cam, or does this cam need double springs?
Thanks

Pressure @ .450" lift: 315#Installed Height/Pressure: 1.880"--150#

Pressure @ .500" lift: 325#
Pressure @ .550" lift: 335#
Pressure @ .600" lift: 350#
Pressure @ .650" lift: 365#
Coil Bind: .680" lift
Outer Spring ID/OD: 1.130"/1.540"
Type of Spring: Single w/ damper

Everything I know about the MoPar solid needs double springs. Even the .528" cam gets double springs. But looking at your spring specs they seem to have some good seat pressure so maybe they will work. It really depends what happens at high RPM with harmonics and stuff and how smooth the lobe profile is. Lift and duration alone are not enough information to select springs.

I'm going to use the crane adjustable ductile rockers @ 1.5 and probably will go with smith bro push rods, manley 11/32 stem valves, 10 degree retainers, and keep the rpms around 6200 at the most, so I wouldnt expect a lot of valve train flex or geometry movement. I found specs on the mp double springs but I'm suspicious of the acuracy of the info, they come in below the hughes numbers

cant find that link. The springs I have may work but they may be to close to the upper limit with a solid, I'll go with doubles, any recommendations on brand and type bee hive vs ovid, vs straight?

just for note, I just got my stealths today. I've only had a chance to cc just one chamber and it came in at 81-1/2cc. i'll be tearing them down by the weekend, but will cc all the chambers before they come apart. just wanted to give you a little heads up for calculating your comp.

That's exciting! I'm curious to see what they average out to, 81 -1/2 is sort of surprising I was expecting something like 84, 81 sounds promising

Back