• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can i get a carburetor recommendation for a 340 motor?

idrivemopar

Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Well, I wanted to keep the car as original as possible, however, after rebuilding the thermoquad from the float stick incident, the thing is weeping gas again around the top of the body and I suspect the center section is warped as it is leaking in the same spot it did before the rebuild.

So, recommendations a carb for my car, 340, 9.5/1 compression and a crane 272 cam. Its just a cruiser but I would like something with good response and reliability. I know, I should upgrade the intake, but for now I will just do the carb, so can you folks give me some recommendations ones to look at?

Thanks!

I'd make you a deal on a torker 340 intake and maybe a carb for rebuild. I've got a few Carter and factory Holley's .. and at least one thermoquad. PM me. The intake is advertised

IMO, the best Carter style to put on top would be the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS @ 650 CFM. If it is a Holley you want, the same CFM rating in a vacuum secondary style will do just fine. I like a 4150 model myself. It has jets front and rear. I do not like a metering plate. They are to general.

The phenolic resin can be worked on with sand paper rolled out on a flat table. Run the main body in a circular motion to achieve a flat surface again. Finish up with the finest grit you can for a smooth surface.

Yes, I thought about sanding the center section, however, I think this carb is too big for my small block, as its the one usually found on the 400/440 motors, so I may need to step it down even with the increased compression.

IMO, the best Carter style to put on top would be the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS @ 650 CFM. If it is a Holley you want, the same CFM rating in a vacuum secondary style will do just fine. I like a 4150 model myself. It has jets front and rear. I do not like a metering plate. They are to general.

The phenolic resin can be worked on with sand paper rolled out on a flat table. Run the main body in a circular motion to achieve a flat surface again. Finish up with the finest grit you can for a smooth surface.
If you don't care for originality, I agree completely with this recommendation.

If you can get the bugs worked out on the thermoquad that's the way I'd go. I run a thermoquad on my 360, love it!

Fixing the TQ is a great option or use an Eddy AFB (or I suppose the AVS can be used as well). If Holley, use a street carb and stay away from the DP's or other race type models. The factory high rise 340 / 360 intake is pretty darn good, especially with your mild cam driver build, so adding a performer or similar would be a waste of money IMO. You already did the best you can do by installing the 272 deg cam. Get your fuel curve and timing right and drive the wheels off it.

Fixing the TQ is a great option or use an Eddy AFB (or I suppose the AVS can be used as well). If Holley, use a street carb and stay away from the DP's or other race type models. The factory high rise 340 / 360 intake is pretty darn good, especially with your mild cam driver build, so adding a performer or similar would be a waste of money IMO. You already did the best you can do by installing the 272 deg cam. Get your fuel curve and timing right and drive the wheels off it.
So I am running the 6322 Thermoquad which is the bigger of the two. You don't think that is a bit of over kill? If so, I have a couple of leads on the 6319 version, smaller, and at least I can still get a new center section for that one. Would love to get the thermoquad dialed in, but this leak problem is really an issue now.

Probably not an issue because of the secondary air valve. If you think you have the stuff to fix it once and for all I'd give it a shot.

I just like the looks of a Thermoquad on a 340 but if you can't find a really nice one for a decent price, I'd go with Rumblefish's recommendation of an Eddy Thunder Series AVS 650 CFM.

Auto Transport Service
Back