• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I use Trickflow 240 Heads on a 426SW Bore?

Valhalla083

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
I have a 413 block that's been bored to fit a set of 426 street wedge pistons, so that puts my bore about 4.25, which is shy of the 4.32 stock bore size of the 440. I want to buy a set of Trick-Flow 240 heads to wake up the engine a little bit. I called Trick-Flow to ask their tech, but he said he wasn't sure. I'm currently running a set of iron 906s, which makes me think the TF heads should work, but I'm no engineer. Has anyone had anything like this come up?

Thanks,

Aspiring Mistake Avoider

Trick Flow lists 4.320" as the MINIMUM bore diameter to be used with these heads.

Stock 906 heads should be 2.08 intake and 1.76 exhaust.
TF 240 heads are 2.190 intake and 1.74 exhaust.
That small bore might be able to work with chamfering the top of the cylinders. Just a guess. That will require the heads with a mock up and bluebrinting. Pistons also may need reliefs enlarged. There are other head options for a smaller bore. If your hung on the TF240 ditch the oddball 413 for a 440 block or a low deck 400.

Stock 906 heads should be 2.08 intake and 1.76 exhaust.
TF 240 heads are 2.190 intake and 1.74 exhaust.
That small bore might be able to work with chamfering the top of the cylinders. Just a guess. That will require the heads with a mock up and bluebrinting. Pistons also may need reliefs enlarged. There are other head options for a smaller bore. If your hung on the TF240 ditch the oddball 413 for a 440 block or a low deck 400.
I'm not married to these TF heads.. I just want something that's going to have good performance out of the box and won't be too tough to install.

I have used them on many Big Block stock bore 383's with a 4.250 bore, so they might be able to work on the block you have.

Depends on the lift of the cam as well

my son in law used them on a 4.25 bore with a 560lift cam and he had to notch the top of the bore like they did on the max wedge motors for the big exhaust valve

Max wedge heads were run on both 426's and 413's.... those (518 heads) had the big exhaust valves and some huge intakes. I would measure every thing, and I do mean everything....but i'd bet it'll work out with no more that unshrouding the intakes on the block itself.

There's enough bore clearance with Trick Flow 240 on the 383, interference doesn't occur until well over.700 lift.

I have used them on many Big Block stock bore 383's with a 4.250 bore, so they might be able to work on the block you have.

There's enough bore clearance with Trick Flow 240 on the 383, interference doesn't occur until well over.700 lift.
What cam specs are you guys saying that would work with a standard bore 383 with TF 240 heads, this is for my girlfriends dad‘s Charger. He wants to get the biggest hydraulic roller cam possible and still have enough vacuum for power brakes.

The last one I did had approximately .577 lift using a 1.6 ratio rocker. There was no interference at all. Using a mild cam with the 1.6 rockers which creates the higher lift makes a decent amount of power for a streetcar. Plenty of vacuum also.

Max wedge heads were run on both 426's and 413's.... those (518 heads) had the big exhaust valves and some huge intakes. I would measure every thing, and I do mean everything....but i'd bet it'll work out with no more that unshrouding the intakes on the block itself.
2.08 intake on the stock Max.

Auto Transport Service
Back