• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can JB weld fix this

Rolling Thunder

Local time
4:56 PM
Reaction score
Check out this cylinder in my 413 Maxie block. Sleeve or good ole JB weld?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 984
I doubt JB weld would hold up. After all, it's just a 2 part epoxy.

Last edited:
If your going to try the JB Weld I'd try to get most of the rust out of there....

There's a product called belzona 1111 (super metal) that would come closer to working than anything I know. We use it in a steam plant to do temporary repairs to steam pipe and it's never failed yet. You have to prep it correctly use a die grinder to clean it up.

X2 belzona I used it to repair machines over the years it's not cheep but it works 39 yrs. of machine repair here

There's a product called belzona 1111 (super metal) that would come closer to working than anything I know. We use it in a steam plant to do temporary repairs to steam pipe and it's never failed yet. You have to prep it correctly use a die grinder to clean it up.

Going to sleeve but WOW just been watching and reading reviews about this stuff. It's been used to repair large diesel cylinders, nuclear plant power shafts and more! I may have to find and try on another damaged block and see what goes down.

Somebody help me out, what am I looking at, a sleeved cylinder with a slot in the sleeve? I see the "ding" at the top. What are you trying to repair?

Is that a groove made from a wrist pin that had moved out of the piston?

Somebody help me out, what am I looking at, a sleeved cylinder with a slot in the sleeve? I see the "ding" at the top. What are you trying to repair?

Is that a groove made from a wrist pin that had moved out of the piston?

Your looking down the unsleeved cylinder of a 413 max wedge block the small ding is factory notch to clear the larger valves. The large slot is were the piston wrist pin walked out and wore into the wall. Looks like it should be there doesn't it lol.

Very interesting!

Yes I would go with a sleeve. Applying something in that void, no matter how good it would hold, would be of a different consistency and or hardness and wouldn't wear the same in the repaired area as in the rest of the cylinder.

Very interesting!

Yes I would go with a sleeve. Applying something in that void, no matter how good it would hold, would be of a different consistency and or hardness and wouldn't wear the same in the repaired area as in the rest of the cylinder.

agreed 100% with that. re-sleeve it. forget about fillers of any kind!

Just get one of those engine rebuild kits with the graphite balls you put through the spark plug holes :pimp:

Belzona should fix it just fine . I used that stuff in a big cat diesel motor once as a quick fix to keep the truck running till the new motor was found and bought it did so good we let it ride 300000+ miles later and it was still going. When we finally pulled it for the new motor. You couldn't tell where the repair was it looked perfect . But that's on a very low revving diesel that ran 24 hours a day a bit different from a max wedge 413 but who knows can't hurt to try . But me I'd sleeve it just because my luck it wouldn't hold the other way
Good luck

X2 belzona I used it to repair machines over the years it's not cheep but it works 39 yrs. of machine repair here

X3--belzona is amazing stuff.---I have 40 years of working in industrial plants. This stuff acts just like the parent metal in many extreme conditions.

Belzona is way more than just heads above JB Weld. 26 years in refinery maintenance and machining, we used plenty of that stuff and yes, nothing cheap about it. Some of it is flat out hard to machine even.....

I'd sleeve it & be done with it...

Far more reliable & acceptable in the industry/hobby, than a filler/epoxy
or metal substitute fillers...

Good luck

I think JB Weld might void your warranty.

Auto Transport Service
Back