• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of rusty worms

POR treatment for down below.

IMG_3247.JPG

Checking the pivot mount depth. Off by 1/4" at least. Probably need to fix this but I think it's better to fit the whole piece and then correct this area.

IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3249.JPG
IMG_3250.JPG
IMG_3251.JPG

fitting, fitting, fitting

IMG_3252.JPG
IMG_3253.JPG

massing needed to get the curve to snuggle up!

IMG_3254.JPG

A little pre POR treatment for the impossible to reach areas.

IMG_3255.JPG

Tacking in place for a nice tight fit. I'll try to fit the next piece before I finish welding this in place to make sure it all goes together the way it should.

IMG_3256.JPG

Good progress! I always heard if you have a choice choose AMD over Sherman parts. But if that's all that's available then you have to make due. Looks like you have the skills to "Get R Done".

Good work you are getting better and better love to watch this thread Thank you glen wood

Make sure to squirt some weld through into the welded areas after the welding to protect what got burned away. Nice to see that there are replacement parts for those areas. And as you are finding out, you have to make them fit.

Good progress! I always heard if you have a choice choose AMD over Sherman parts. But if that's all that's available then you have to make due. Looks like you have the skills to "Get R Done".
Thanks GTX! The sherman parts don't fit well but I wasn't expecting them to. I imagine the high cost to produce accurate stampings for this small market part is hard to justify. I'm just happy to have something availble to work with.

Skills are getting a little better each time but it sure tests my patience on a beautiful day like today. I wish I was driving the car!

Sherman part needs some encouragement to get this curve to match up.

IMG_3257.JPG

Trying to get this edge to roll like the original. Tough to do without proper equipment but this round bar helps.

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

Time to scribe underneath for some more trimming.

IMG_3260.JPG

Tightening up the gaps for some final fitting.

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

Fits pretty good making it easy to tack it up.

IMG_3264.JPG

Looking for potential fit problems with the old cowl. The only contact point inside is between the top of the wiper pivot and the cowl. This will need some massaging. Otherwise, looks like it fits ok for now. I haven't welded to the windshield lip yet as I may need to tap it down a bit.

IMG_3265.JPG

Go man go, Glenwood you are knocking it out. The lower cowl patch panel from Sherman fits like crap, I know your pain.....lol, but you are making good work of it. Keep at it, at this rate you will be finished in no time.

Thanks Crumley. We are definitely swimming in the same stream! I hope to finish this area today and have the firewall back on this weekend. Then I guess I'll tackle the upper cowl...the main event! Should be an interesting adventure. :eek:

Tightening up the gaps for some final fitting.

View attachment 335803

View attachment 335804

View attachment 335805
Fits pretty good making it easy to tack it up.

View attachment 335806
Looking for potential fit problems with the old cowl. The only contact point inside is between the top of the wiper pivot and the cowl. This will need some massaging. Otherwise, looks like it fits ok for now. I haven't welded to the windshield lip yet as I may need to tap it down a bit.

View attachment 335807

nice job on the tin work keep it up

finishing up some of the welding on this side.

IMG_3266.JPG

checking the fit

IMG_3267.JPG

Turned out pretty good. Still have to check for pin holes and finish the spot welds.

IMG_3268.JPG

Looks great Glen! Way to go!
O you did it now, You went ahead and inspired me to go out and "play" with my car

sorry about that Don! lol
I'm concerned about the angle of the wiper pivot area, as the patch isn't pressed out as far as the original. I'll head out there now and finish welding this side up and decide whether I'll cut and reposition it a bit. pita!
You can see the circles I drew using the original as a template are lower than the punched out holes I filled in. Ugh!
I want to be sure the wiper pivot shaft depth and angle are as close to factory as I can get it.

image.png
Looking good ...it's awesome to see all the photos ups / downs ...great work ! I have the same trouble and one day will do the same to my 65 coronet you and the other great b body members who post this needed info ! Thanks Bobo

Setting up the pool equipment for a salt water pool ate up most of the weekend. :(

Managed to make a little progress today. Cleaned up the windshield edge.

IMG_3270.JPG

Checking the gap between the cowl and the door. It got a little tight after fitting and welding. Needed a bit of adjusting.

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back