• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of rusty worms

Welded the bracket between the frame and the floor. I thought it was 16ga and it pulled right off! oops I checked the thickness again and it was between 12 & 14ga. Adjusted the welder, drilled out the welds and started over. Much better this time.

IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG

Checking the fit with the upper cowl before I start welding.

IMG_3280.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

Starting to look like a car again...sort of. Holiday tomorrow, so I hope to finish this up.

IMG_3282.JPG

The honey-do list magically grew again today...funny how that works!
Still managed some time to sew this 64 back together, one more step forward.
Put the cowl on to line up the air box before welding.

IMG_3283.JPG

Cleaned up the welds.
IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3285.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3290.JPG

Firewall and air box are one again. Turned out pretty good I think. Not too bad for an amateur.

IMG_3291.JPG

The new splash guard from AMD looks a little better that the original! Can't figure out how it fits though. The holes don't seem to line up. I hope I don't have to fill these in too.

IMG_3292.JPG

Looks great! The cowl/firewall areas are so complicated with how they are designed and assembled. Keep up the great work!!!

I'm inspired ! Will tackle my cowl when the time comes ! Thanks for the photos and all

Before you fire up the electric glue gun on the cowl, make sure your windshield fits properly. And maybe check the fit of the hood and fenders too before you pull the trigger.

After spending most of the day painting the house on a 12' ladder in brutal heat, I finally got time to play!

Tacked the bracket in place, then welded it up.

IMG_3293.JPG
IMG_3294.JPG

Very nice job with the repairs - looks great!

:thumbsup:

checking the curve on the cowl. No patch available for the right side, so i'll have to try to fab one.

IMG_3295.JPG

using 20ga, a little easier to work with than 18ga.
this dolly's curve is pretty close to what I need.

IMG_3296.JPG
IMG_3297.JPG
IMG_3298.JPG

Glenwood, man you are knocking it out....keep at it. You will be driving that convertible before you know it.
Nothing like a honey do lists to take time away from working on a project....lol. I feel your pain. Sometimes I think more gets added to it then taken off.

Thanks Crumley. Not looking good for this summer but I keep hoping!
She's killing me with the 'LIST'...it never ends! Spent last night and today in a mini excavator digging up old shrubs and soil for some interlocking pavers. Brutal work...I hate knowing how to do stuff sometimes :(
We made a deal...I give her one day of my weekend and one day for me to play in the shop. The problem is I'm exhausted and have little energy for playtime. c'est la vie! Hoping to work on that damn cowl tomorrow.

Decided to try patching the right side instead of cutting the whole corner out.

IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG

Now for the left side...the sherman patch is rough but trying to fit it anyway.

IMG_3308.JPG

Checking the gaps.

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

Stealing an idea from Crumley...looking for high spots with a magic marker and file. Pretty rough pressing from Sherman but still better than the rusty one I have. Some hammer and dolly work might help here.

IMG_3312.JPG

Kills me to have to do it...but here goes nothing. Time to cut out the cancer.

IMG_3311.JPG

Marking out a line to cut. I've learned to cut it wide and cut again and again, fine tuning to a tight fit. I find it welds better.

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back