• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of rusty worms

crusty in there!

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3206.JPG

fitting and folded over the lip.

IMG_3207.JPG

Some fine tuning the fit. Trying to get those gaps tight!

IMG_3208.JPG

POR treatment! A couple of coats before welding it up, maybe next week!

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

Glen,
I have some rust issues in my car (nothing like yours) and I was going to pay somebody to fix it. After reading your whole thread, you have given me the confidence to tackle this myself. I am going to buy a mig and get stuck into it. Cheers for that.

another one is born every minute! lol
and all I wanted was a pretty engine bay for the new big block! :mad:

I'm taking baby steps and trying to be careful. Seeing what the guys have done or are doing here has been a tremendous boost to my confidence. I'm sure that if I can keep improving, anyone can do this. I'm also doing most of the work where it cannot be seen first. The actual cowl repair is the main event for me and I'm hoping to start that next month.

Good luck with yours and post pics please, I'm learning as I go and could learn from what you do too!

sheet metal parts might actually get delivered from Jegs soon! Decent shipping ($52) & brokerage ($6) fees for two inner fenders, two cowl and two splash guards right to my igloo!
I really like dealing with Jegs, also cheaper than most. I'm off (actually between jobs) next week, so I'm hoping to get the metal and start putting it all back together while I'm off!

Great news! Looks like it will be a busy garage week for you. Break out the Vise Grips!

I think I'll need a few more clamps.
The only fly in the ointment...my wife is also off work. Gonna be some fancy stick handling (hockey term) to avoid her honey-do list!

Look what showed up today, days ahead of estimated delivery! Jegs keeps impressing me. Costs were lower, delivery faster, no nonsense. Something to be said for American companies. These guys have their **** together!

well, there's no excuse now...I know what I'll be doing next week.

jegs.jpg

the bare metal inners & cowls are Sherman... a bit rough and will need some massaging to fit. I hope I'm up to the challenge.

The outer cowl doesn't look too bad of a fit. The pivot openings line up more or less but it isn't pressed quite the same. I'm thinking of using portions of the replacement to patch to the original.

cowl.jpg

The sherman lower cowl doesn't fit but gives me the general shapes and contours to work with. I decided it will be cut up to reshape a bit.
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG

The holes do not line up very well either.
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3226.JPG
IMG_3227.JPG

Checking the fit with the cowl pivots. The holes are definitely a problem. Might be better if they didn't punch them out.

IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3242.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3244.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back