• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you help me diagnose a starting problem?

SteveSS

Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
The truck seems to start fine 99.9% of the time. Then it just doesn't. I took it to go get some food and was gone for 5 minutes then I came back and nothing. Just one click. I called a friend and he came to help jumpstart it and the best we could get was about 5 clicks. The volt meter said the battery had 12.5 volts. I had it towed home and put it on a battery charger for 24 hours. I went out the next day and it started fine. This happened once before about 6 weeks ago. I put the battery on a charger and it started. The battery is newish. Is my starter just locking up intermittently? I would suspect an alternator problem if the battery wasn't showing voltage. I checked and cleaned the battery connections.

I think AutoZone can check the alternator while it's still in the truck. I'll try that. Is there a way to check the starter? I hate intermittent problems.

With limited information, I would lean towards a dead spot in the starter.

Probably not your hassle as you mention a newish battery. Had this happen on wife's car checking it with voltmeter read 12+ volts, should be a tad more; but when cranking getting clicks, the voltage dropped to under 5 then would snap back showing 12 again when not trying to turn it over. Replace battery and good. You made some of the checks, if you didn't check your ground connection at motor might look at it.

Truck? Why don’t people say what year and engine they are working on?? Other may have simular experiences.

Could be a bad cable, rare but it’s frustrating.
It will show voltage but can’t supply the amps to start it so it clicks, just like a low battery but the volts are fine everywhere.
Also wiggle the cable ends or other wires related to the starter and the relay/solenoid.

Public service announcement, clean terminals and posts are mandatory. since most shop at Harbor freight then buy one of these next time.
Battery Terminal Cleaner

030DE5EB-BDDD-4EDB-8F8D-FD0C10FCAAE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Never overlook the obvious like mentioned above (loose or dirty battery cable connections or the like) You are probably going to have to wait until it acts up again. Than you can diagnose it. You might have a bad connection in the bulkhead.

clean terminals and posts are mandatory
Yep, ran into this more than once, have even got cars to start by tapping on the ground cable with a the wood handle on a tool. Cable was tight; but still poor contact..

Steve, if you're up to crawling on your back when this happens next time, get under it and tap on the starter with a hammer or the like. If it cranks after that I'd say starter's your culprit.

Steve, if you're up to crawling on your back when this happens next time, get under it and tap on the starter with a hammer or the like. If it cranks after that I'd say starter's your culprit.
And hope it's not a 4.6 ferd!

Auto Transport Service
Back