• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't figure out my overheating issue

cdn66satellite

Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
I am almost lost with what to do next. Over heats on the highway goes up to 220.
26" alum rad
160 thermostat
elec fan
shroud.

im wondering if this flat shroud is stopping air flow on the highway. image.jpg

Typically an overheating issue on the highway is a lack of heat dissipation from the radiator. Either its partially clogged, or blocked. Exhaust flaps in the shroud would definitely help

Typically an overheating issue on the highway is a lack of heat dissipation from the radiator. Either its partially clogged, or blocked. Exhaust flaps in the shroud would definitely help
The rad is only a month old but a chance it could be clogged?

Try removing the shroud and drive it.

From experience, I would test or just replace the thermostat first. (To test, place in a saucepan of water on stove with thermometer too and check it opens as it should.)

I'm by no means an expert but I was recently researching Spal fans and my understand is the puller setup is best (as is yours), and a big V8 needs at least 2500 cfm which should pull around 20 amps. Spal also makes one rated at 3000 rpm / 50 amps. Your setup looks pretty nice, what triggers the fan to run?

So it overheats in the city without the shroud. But overheats on the highway with the shroud haha. Can't win
Two different issues here.

If it overheats in City without shroud means not enough air being pulled thru tjhe radiator. On Highway overheating is not enough air being pushed thru radiator. Ditch the electric fan and change to 185 them to start. Then use a seven blade clutch with a much larger opening for the air to push thru on Highway.

I'm by no means an expert but I was recently researching Spal fans and my understand is the puller setup is best (as is yours), and a big V8 needs at least 2500 cfm which should pull around 20 amps. Spal also makes one rated at 3000 rpm / 50 amps. Your setup looks pretty nice, what triggers the fan to run?

temperature sensor in the rad turns on at 170. I just found this fan in the garage so I'm wondering if it doesn't pull enough. But yet it works fine in the city. As soon as the car sees 50mph plus the temp starts climbing

At what temp do you have your fan set to come on at? Try lowering that setting to 180° and see if that helps.

I'm with snakeoil. 180 Stant Superstat.

The shroud is to close to the rad. Put flaps or re think your shroud set up. Take a ride to the wreckers and go measure some shroud fan assemblies and use one of them.

I just fought the same battle on my 66 Belvedere. I started out with one 16" electric fan and shroud w/ a steel radiator. It stayed cool in the city and overheated on the highway. I even tried running the fan without the temp switch (always on), that didn't work either. Then I bought a new US Radiator aluminum 1" tube 2 core w/ 19" clutch fan. That helped keep it cool on the highway, but without a shroud, it temped up in the city. After I added a 1" fan spacer and a factory shroud, it stays nice and cool everywhere I go. Like others above have stated, its better to stick with the cooling system the car was designed with.

I don't want to wade in with a seemingly silly comment but I do have to ask: Do you have an anti collapse spring installed in your lower radiator hose? Seeing as you have a new rad and at speeds should have enough air to cool the fluid, I cannot help but wonder if the hose is collapsing...

Auto Transport Service
Back