• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't go any faster after all....

Doug, I have had long conversation with Cal Trac Tech guys and my shocks are set to the best specs they can offer. They are they Cal Trac 9 way Adjustable shocks.

Do you have good clear slow motion video of the rear from the side at launch? Have the people giving you adjustment advise seen it? I'm no expert. But to advance in racing you have to think outside the box. Do I know what your car needs without seeing video, nope. But the amazing results that can be realized with proper shock and suspension adjustments speak for them self. Whether you desire to pursue these adjustments to help your car are strictly your choice. But don't discount them if they haven't been tested. Anybody can hook a 12.0 car on 14x32 tires. You obviously are already far beyond that point. Personally I think there is more left in your stuff w/o much if any parts change. I know it gets frustrating. I chased my tail for quite awhile. But in the end it's been worth it. In the spring we'll be hitting it again. Looking to improve on my all time best of 1.240 60ft. Recently with more shock adjustments we were able to get my sons car to go 1.37 60ft. Cal Tracks, 3750lbs, 54% weight on the nose, 3.55 gear, 275 radials. Don't give up, go quicker. I know you can do it.
Doug

Also, have you thought about placing the weight back into the car in a different location? Now that you are going to put it back in, you now have the option of putting it where it might benefit the car the most. Not having seen a vid like Doug mentions, it's hard to say if the car would benefit from a quicker pitch rotation (not roll rotation) for better traction and placing weight closer to the center of the car can and usually helps with that. Most see and place weight out on the 'end' of the back of the car for better traction which does happen but that also slows down pitch rotation....food for thought. Also, less weight placed say in the rear seat area could help the car hook vs replacing all of that weight you took out back in the truck area.

Like DVW mentioned, a video is very valuable. We have placed gopro's under the rear bumper of several cars. It's amazing what you see especially if you can slow the video down.
I've searched for a shock thread I read a long time ago but I can't find it. I'm not even sure of the context but I remember Monte Smith posted something to effect that if you don't have double adjustable shocks, you don't have shocks. Not sure, it just stuck with me.

I could have swore you showed a photo
or talked about using (a delay box & ?} a throttle stop,
to help you compete in Bracket racings/consistency
at one time or other

sorry
I must have confused your set up
with someone else's, I would assume

& it won't happen again :bananadance:

good luck
with what ever you choose
it's your car, you cash & your time
Bud...
Yes I did buy a Dedenbear Delay Box and did install it to race in the Super Pro class....but...at that same weekend is when I started having traction problems from taking weight of the rear so I just entered the Pro class WITHOUT the delay box. I have now never used the delay box in competition.

Like DVW mentioned, a video is very valuable. We have placed gopro's under the rear bumper of several cars. It's amazing what you see especially if you can slow the video down.
I've searched for a shock thread I read a long time ago but I can't find it. I'm not even sure of the context but I remember Monte Smith posted something to effect that if you don't have double adjustable shocks, you don't have shocks. Not sure, it just stuck with me.
You know Monte is no longer with us, right? Didn't know him personally but knew him from others that were closer to me and know it's not easy for parents to lose a 'child'....he knew his drag racing too. And parents are never supposed to out live their children..... :praying:

Just finished reading this thread and let me Thank everyone. Trying to get the quickest et's and 60 ft. times can be very frustrating, something we all have experienced. Made my first pass in March of '72, after today I have been given an abundance of info to use next spring. Maybe now my best of 10.34 might change. Thanks again.
Bob :moparsmiley:

Ah Mike your car runs awesome for the combo. You can be very proud if how it runs if it runs a 9 or not. Its one awesome running Mopar ! Ron

i learned this lesson with a duster i had for a long time once you got it hooking and consisent u start running the races and make the most of what u have, after several wins i wanted to go faster so my win money went into go fast parts for my motor and guess what? yep had lots of problems with hooking and all and not winning and not having fun so i did put it all back like it was and start going rounds and winning and most of all having fun!!!i totally agree with u it aint worth chasing the et and spending all that money to satisfy a certain et range u got to draw the line somewhere and u got to drive and build some cool cars in the 60s!! good luck and go have fun!

i learned this lesson with a duster i had for a long time once you got it hooking and consisent u start running the races and make the most of what u have, after several wins i wanted to go faster so my win money went into go fast parts for my motor and guess what? yep had lots of problems with hooking and all and not winning and not having fun so i did put it all back like it was and start going rounds and winning and most of all having fun!!!i totally agree with u it aint worth chasing the et and spending all that money to satisfy a certain et range u got to draw the line somewhere and u got to drive and build some cool cars in the 60s!! good luck and go have fun!
—-
Excellent advise!
Mike has a killer car and he has already far surpassed his initial goals, both speed and ET. He just needs to put the goal posts back a tad and ride the wave.

—-
Excellent advise!
Mike has a killer car and he has already far surpassed his initial goals, both speed and ET. He just needs to put the goal posts back a tad and ride the wave.

Agreed!

Well....my next outing will not be until Feb 23 24 at Famoso (Bakersfield).
Air will be in the range of 500 to 1000 feet.
I talked with Cal Trac Techs again and they said (like Doug and others have told me) to stiffen up the "rebound" on my Cal Trac 9 Way Single Adjustable Shock from full loose (setting #1) to a setting of #3 to stiffen up the rebound, if that helps then they said to go on up until it stops working (as you all know, Cal Tracs shocks adj the rebound only, not compression). This conversation with them was with my setup with the 120lb OUT of my rear end.
My setup for #1 (full soft) setting with the 120lbs back in the car worked fine with my 1.40's.
Yes...guys...I will try my no cost shock settings at the next outing.
Thanks for all of the advice that is 100% good.

Auto Transport Service
Back