• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't lock door with key

Vanderstel

Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
1967 Satellite 2D hardtop.

This is what I know
From the inside I can lock the doors by pushing the button down and the doors stay locked.
When I push the lock button down and close the door the lock button pops up.
When I push the lock button down and close the door while pressing the outside door open button the lock button pops up.
I cannot lock the doors from the outside with the key.
Same behavior both sides.

Suggestions?

It's to prevent you from locking your keys inside.
try lubing the lock cylinder.

Or the key is not correct for the locks.
Or the lock linkage is bent / binding

Does it turn somewhat, but not enough to engage?

Everything you listed is Norman operation, except the key not locking. So answer the questions above for us.

If they were never locked the grease can get stiff and not move anymore. Clean and lube the latches.

Check your Service Manual for a look at linkage bent or missing. You'll need to pull door panel when you reach inside edges are VERY SHARP!! When you see where you need to work fold masking tape on sharp edges. OH don't have a Service Manual Service Manuals – MyMopar
Download one.

Yep, normal on 67 except not locking with key.

Has it ever worked?

Since I’ve owned the car the key has not worked.

The key works in the ignition so I ignorantly assumed it would work for the doors.

Doesn’t turn at all, guess I’ll have to pull the door cards and take a look.

All of the above helps me too....my passenger door does exactly the same on the A100.
Ever since rebuilding the truck the door will not lock with the key - or unlock for that matter. Can't see anything missing either.

I'll try working in some lube at the latches.

All of the above helps me too....my passenger door does exactly the same on the A100.
Ever since rebuilding the truck the door will not lock with the key - or unlock for that matter. Can't see anything missing either.

I'll try working in some lube at the latches.
I have a 1967 Belvedere. The ignition key does not unlock/lock doors, i have an extra key that works the doors, probably because they are new door locks, and not original to the car.

My ignition key does not work my door lock either. Have new door handles and lock tumblers. After putting my car back together one day the driver side would not unlock. Pulled the door panel and found one of the links was missing. All new clips and brackets. But one had rusted off and let a curved piece that the lock turned was gone. Luck would have it had a spare one of those in my old door's. Classic use to have it but don't see it anymore. Hope it is something as simple too put some lube on your mechanism and all will be good.

Mopar door locks and most trunk locks are some of the easiest locks to rekey.

Search FxBO and some good advice will come up.

Hey gang. New to convo here. My ‘73 RR passenger door has a few issues: 1- lock “rod”. See pic. Is in need of a replacement plastic part to lock it into place. Any leads? 2- how does someone with normal size fingers get the door cylinder out to rebuild? I cant get my sausage fingers around the box to get it out.

IMG_1516.jpeg

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1514.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back