• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-keying New Glovebox Lock

JR_Charger

Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
I got a new lock, with a new key, which means I've got three keys for the car now instead of two. Not the end of the world, but wouldn't it be better to have one accessory key for doors/trunk/glovebox? Will I end up with another extra key if I replace the door locks? I've re-keyed the ignition cylinder on a truck, it's not impossible to do. How are you guys managing this?

Going purely from memory here, but I think it'd be much easier to re-key the trunk lock to the new glove box key.

I never lock the glove box. Never did. So, I don't need a key for it.

You could have a locksmith key your new lock to your old key.

It's easy enough to be a do-it-yourself job. I've done-it-myself. The lock I keyed came with the extra keys though.

Going purely from memory here, but I think it'd be much easier to re-key the trunk lock to the new glove box key.

Would have to do the doors too though -surely easier to just do the glovebox?

Unless I replace the door and trunk locks too :BangHead:

It's easy enough to be a do-it-yourself job. I've done-it-myself. The lock I keyed came with the extra keys though.

Would have to do the doors too though -surely easier to just do the glovebox?

Unless I replace the door and trunk locks too :BangHead:
Doors and ignition are one key, trunk and glove box are another (round key), also console if optioned.

Agree with above.

Also agree that the GB lock is the most difficult of all to rekey, even worse than the ignition!

Doors and ignition are one key, trunk and glove box are another (round key), also console if optioned.

Woah. It's been thirty years since I've locked the doors, do the door locks really use the ignition key? I just replaced the ignition and took the old ignition key off the chain. That could have been a hard lesson to learn!

So now I'm carrying four keys around :lol:

Ign and door

trunk and glove box (and console)

Auto Transport Service
Back