• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Craft: '70 Hemi Challenger Barn Find

I dont want to see the car, nor do I want to see the issue of Car Craft....
I dont want to get depressed!

I dont want to see the car, nor do I want to see the issue of Car Craft....
I dont want to get depressed!

I have been depressed since I found it in Car Craft..... I even appoligized to the wife for not being myself lately...:) It has been clogging my brain!

Location of your Plum Crazy 1970 Hemi Challenger

I assume your name is James A Anderson and you bought this Hemi Challenger at Stew Hanson Dodge in December 1969. We purchased your vehicle for a customer on May 8, 2013 from the unethical hustler listed in the Car Craft article. I am from Emmetsburg, Iowa and moved to Arizona in 1986 after the farm economy went bust. We have lived in Arizona since that time. Let me assure you your Challenger will have a good home. In the next few months, we will start a total restoration on your vehicle. Please check out are website, www.qualitymusclecarrestorations.com My telephone number is 602-810-2039. We would very much like you to come see the vehicle and our shop, and visit with us when you come to Arizona in the near future. Enclosed are recent photos, and also one photo of a 71 Cuda convertible we are currently restoring. Thank you Ward Gappa. DELIVERY DAY 5-22-13 3PM (3).jpgBODY INSTALLED IN ROTATER, 8-23-13 (2).jpg

Now THAT is one stand up guy. IMO. Cool,very cool.

Cool story, Bro! What are the chances of finding a car you sold off decades ago still exists? As it happened to have a hemi there was one positive factor in its chance for preservation but it was no guarantee that it would survive. I hope you get a chance to look at it and verify that it really was your old car from so long ago.

DELIVERY DAY 5-22-13 3PM (9).jpgBUILD SHEET CHALLENGER.jpgVIN ON DASH.JPGVehicle came with original title dated 12-69 in the name of James A Anderson, sold to Chris Thompson on 7-18-1977. Second owner Chris Thompson sold to third owner in 5-29-2007. Will not mention name of third owner because this is the person that paid $1,000.00 to the second owner who became severely disabled in 2004 after suffered from a severe stroke. We also have the second title which documents the vehicle's full owner history.

Vehicle has born-with original engine and transmission. We have already purchased a correct Dana 60 to replaced the 8.75 diff that was installed in vehicle when it was a few years old. Vehicle was originally equipped with a 4.10 Dana. Vehicle has two original build sheets. Enclosed are photos of one of the buiild sheets, VIN on dash and original key fob. I tried to download the original title but this system will not accept my file format.

Ward Gappa,
Thank you very much for this reply and I will be getting ahold of you soon! I'm so pumped to get to see my old Hemi and your shop!!

Posted via Topify using Android

I'm James M Anderson my dad is James A Anderson the title may have been put in dads name because he secured the loan for me at his credit union since I was only seventeen. What's strange here is i bought the car from a guy in Bondurant in feb 1976 for 2500 and sold it to mr thompson in July 77 ...Can't remember the name of the guy I bought it from??? but will try and research his name. He had the car painted silver and changed the rear end to a 3:23 gear.

Here is a few old poloroids I scanned sorry about my hair. Lol

Attachments

• topify_1379788241388.jpg
    topify_1379788241388.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 763
Drove it to graduation and took my wife to school in it when we dated in high school at Dowling in West Des Moines.

Attachments

• topify_1379788614233.jpg
    topify_1379788614233.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 737
  • topify_1379788694410.jpg
    topify_1379788694410.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 760
Those look like great memories!

They may be old Polaroid shots, but you can improve them...

topify_1379788614233.jpg

Nice work Photon

- - - Updated - - -

Drove it to graduation and took my wife to school in it when we dated in high school at Dowling in West Des Moines.

congratulations and thanks for sharing James. I'm looking forward to hearing back after you go see it. Take a big pile of $ and bring it home.

I would love to buy it back but don't think its for sale and if it was it would be more than I could afford right now. It will be so cool just to sit in it again :)

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to more photos.

These are great photos of you and the vehicle. Please provide more if possible. Look forward to meeting you. All information about previous owner from Bondurant would be appreciated. The Weasel we bought vehicle from led us to believe you were the original owner. Was the person you bought the Challenger from in 1976 the original owner?MOVE TO CAREFREE HANGERS 5-23-13 (1).jpgMOVE TO CAREFREE HANGERS 5-23-13 (2).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

James:

Don't forget to check your Challenger out on our website, www.qualitymusclecarrestorations.com

Look under the vehicles we are working on or have finished section.

Thank you

Those look like great memories!

They may be old Polaroid shots, but you can improve them...

[iurl="http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=141491&d=1379789877&d=1379789877"]
attachment.jpg
[/iurl]
Good job enhancing the poloroid, Photon

I'm not sure if the guy I bought it from was original owner or not, I will see if I can find out.
Here is a couple more pics I found .
I think the guy your client bought it from must be a douch bag! Thanks again for all the information and pictures you have shared. Happy to see it is still alive and in good hands.

Attachments

• topify_1379860535872.jpg
    topify_1379860535872.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 714
  • topify_1379860574175.jpg
    topify_1379860574175.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 747
Auto Transport Service
Back