• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

car show judging absurdity

Darius

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
So this past weekend I had my car in the Sacramento Autorama. This was at the request of my friend who's shop I did the work in...with a ton of his help. I would not have entered had he not requested and even paid for it.
I have had the GTX in that show twice before and each time I received a "Class Participant" plaque. There is a team of people who go around and look at each car and "classify" it. Mine was in the 70-79 "Mild Hardtop" class. I have NO idea what that means exactly but there was a "Conservative" class as well and I can't remember what others.
Anyway, THIS time I win 1st place???????? There were lots of cars in this class as there were in previous years.
WTF?????? Not complaining, just trying to understand this, and, I suppose, to point out that judging is completely in the eyes of the beholder and what he/she likes.

Just what you said.It's all up to them and what they think. I go to shows just for fun and don't enter any judging.
But hey ! first place without even trying Good job !.

I have judged a few shows and 1, your car is a winner, 2 unless you are going for best in show, only the judge of your class picks the class winner. At least in my experience.
I loved people that would leave the car locked and hood closed and get mad because their car didn't win.. I shouldn't have to come search for you to judge your car.

Last edited:
So this past weekend I had my car in the Sacramento Autorama. This was at the request of my friend who's shop I did the work in...with a ton of his help. I would not have entered had he not requested and even paid for it.
I have had the GTX in that show twice before and each time I received a "Class Participant" plaque. There is a team of people who go around and look at each car and "classify" it. Mine was in the 70-79 "Mild Hardtop" class. I have NO idea what that means exactly but there was a "Conservative" class as well and I can't remember what others.
Anyway, THIS time I win 1st place???????? There were lots of cars in this class as there were in previous years.
WTF?????? Not complaining, just trying to understand this, and, I suppose, to point out that judging is completely in the eyes of the beholder and what he/she likes.

Maybe your friend greased a few palms?? :p

Ah, car shows.
Lots of hurt feelings, 50's tunes and lawn chairs.

Cool that you won. I'm sure there was some guy who got butt hurt because you were just there to enjoy the cars and company without expectation and won.

Congrats on the win, you have a beautiful and deserving car. In my experience ,most awards boil down to the opinion of the judge and what turns them on. In the shows that I have attended in the past I only enter non judged classes, more fun, less drama.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

If you ever want to see real strangeness, then go to a juried art show that has anywhere from 1 to 3 judges...IMHO.

Congratulations!! Your car deserves to win. I used to take my car to a lot of charity car shows. It most generally got a top 10 or what ever but there were always nicer cars that got nothing. My car was just unique. I had more fun buying raffle tickets and letting my girls win stuff. I have lots of car soap and wax everywhere.

Sweet! I go to car shows and I never ask for a number “I’m here for the fun” then I enjoy the people who go there to get a trophy to leave upset if they don’t win, some really get butt hurt

Congratulations!.....Never heard of Mild Hardtop or Conservative classes before. I also judge some local shows and I always try to get some story/history on the cars and what the owner has done as far as being involved in the restoration process or if they just purchased an already done car.

I go for the fun. If I happen to win something, great, but I don't expect or need it.
Over time I am starting to notice some things.
1. The same people seem to win at the same shows every year. (Most are trailer queens)
2. Clubs will show up and vote for each other.
If the trophy's and plaques mean THAT much to you, you can have them.

WTH is "mild hardtop" class.....Sounds like the show had so many different classes so everyone could get some type of trophy.....

To this day I never understood why local smaller venues do the trophy thing....They are cheap looking usually and is something I don't want to bring home....Then while everyone is waiting to get called they always talk crap about the cars that get chosen....Kinda defeats the purpose of being together at a car meet....

To each is own but that is my opinion.......

Local car club/show, they went to using kids from the St.Judes Ranch for children as judges. Told them write down what you like.
This curtailed the "Butt Hurt" of the waco's that wanted to fight if they didn't get a prize.

Congrats! I write "Do not Judge" on my window placard. Just trying to save the judges some time.

I did it for Dean as a way to promote his business. He had 8 vehicles, 3 cars, 3 trucks, a motorcycle, and a boat he built an 1100HP engine for. There were 4 1st place wins 4 "Class Participant" awards plus he won a $250 prize for "Best Handcrafted Truck" He kicked *** and it will be good for his business. I was only too happy to contribute to that after what he did for me with the build.
I suppose I am like most, happy to win something but not really my main thing. I like being able to talk to the truly interested folks about the car and what it took to make it all come together. Even told some young guys about FBBO and one of them pulled his phone out on the spot and looked up my build thread ans saved it! Perhaps a future Mopar guy!
Dave Kindig was there with 2 cars and he won all kinds of stuff but what would you expect from an out fit like his?
The awards presentation took 2 1/2 hours! It was brutal.

I got to be of a certain age where I'm trying to get rid of stuff as I got too much crap all over the place and more stuff like plaques and trophies make me wonder where the hell I'm gonna put it like this monster trophy I got last fall. I'd rather just get the 15 or 20 bucks it cost instead. Kids ask me what I want for my birthday and for Christmas and tell them please...really nothing (I don't add they couldn't afford what I want anyway ha-ha).

Trophy.jpg

Sounds like congrats are in order :thumbsup:
on the 1st place win in your category

must have been a Mopar fan in the judging :lol:

Congrats on a well -deserved recognition. If I were out there, instead of that "conservative" class, I'd try to win the "LIBERAL" class !! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back