• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car was running fine! Then Died - and can't get Gas!!!

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
Was cruising just fine and suddenly the car died. Tried to start it in 95 heat. Wouldn't barely turn over again. Caught a tow home - thank God my insurance was effective today. Got the car home okay - tried to jump it and after letting it charge for awhile it turned over fine. It's not getting any gas. Put a little gas in the carb and she started right up - ran until the carb went dry. Then killed each time. It's not getting gas for some reason. New fuel pump, new fuel lines, carbs are newly rebuilt. It's started and run well for the last 100 miles - then out of nowhere this. I should be more mechanical but it's been 35 years of company cars and this GTX just restored. So I'm at a loss again. I've heard vapor lock can cause what ails the car - but don't know how to tell and don't know what to do if that's the case.

Once again looking for some help from my FBBO brothers/sisters. Any suggestions. Don't know where to start. I'm sure it's not getting fuel. Pls help!

Vapor lock tends to happen when the car sits after it's just run on a hot day.

Other culprits:

Pick-up sock in tank plugged
In-line fuel filter plugged
Kink in line
Bad fuel pump
Worn fuel pump lobe on camshaft
Worn fuel pump push rod.

Personally, I would check the pump first.

Fuel filter plugged? Maybe line plugged with some crap? Sending unit?

Good luck

Vapor lock tends to happen when the car sits after it's just run on a hot day.

Other culprits:

Pick-up sock in tank plugged
In-line fuel filter plugged
Kink in line
Bad fuel pump
Worn fuel pump lobe on camshaft
Worn fuel pump push rod.

Personally, I would check the pump first.

Thx to both of you guys for your learned thoughts.
The fuel pump is new - which I guess doesn't mean anything these days. Is it possible the block is at the pump since the unit itself is new. I don't know what a "sock" is. Sorry. A block somewhere is a logical thought since the car hadn't been driven for 35 years up until the last month. The tank or line could easily be plugged at some point. Where is the most logical 2 points? How do I access them. Really appreciate the support. I'm a bit of a novice...

Fuel filter plugged? Maybe line plugged with some crap? Sending unit?

Good luck
I think the sending unit works okay because the gas gauge is ready correctly. A plug of some kind could be a logical thought. Is there a filter at the tank - or just one at the carbs? Sorry I sound so naive - but just don't know this stuff....

The sock would be on the pick-up tube on the fuel sender unit inside the tank.

s-l1000.jpg

The sock would be on the pick-up tube on the fuel sender unit inside the tank.

s-l1000.jpg
Thx RC - I'm going to try and check some of these things out in the morning. I have a feeling you're right about a plug somewhere. The car hadn't been run in many years before,the last 100 miles. The lines are all new as well as the pump. The tank is suspect indeed. Will report back..

If the car sat for many years, I would suspect the pick-up sock. An easy way to test would be to pull the feed line to the pump. If the tank is full, gas should start pouring out.

If the car sat for many years, I would suspect the pick-up sock. An easy way to test would be to pull the feed line to the pump. If the tank is full, gas should start pouring out.
Thx for the suggestions RC - the tank is full. I'll try that tomorrow and advise. Really appreciate the help!

If no fuel comes out, you could apply air pressure to blow it out back into the tank to clear it, but if it is plugged, there's probably a lot of crap in the tank & you'll want to remove the tank and thoroughly clean it out.

Hello,You should check your fuel pump plunger rod.It happen to me, fuel pump rod wore and would not let the pump cycle.

If no fuel comes out, you could apply air pressure to blow it out back into the tank to clear it, but if it is plugged, there's probably a lot of crap in the tank & you'll want to remove the tank and thoroughly clean it out.
I assume if fuel comes out of the feed line at the pump - then the fuel block is at the pump or in the line forward of the pump??? Which would mean the lines leading to the carbs from the pump???

Another question - can this "sock" mentioned be pulled out of the tank and cleaned? I realize to cure the problem the tank may need flushing. But am curious if the sock itself can be cleaned??

You'll have to drain out at least a 1/4 tank of gas, remove the sender unit and then pull the sock off the inlet tube. Many people don't even use it & placing a fuel filter before the pump would take the place of the sock on the sender. BTW, it's called a sock, but all it really is is a fine mesh plastic filter.

take fuel line loose before the pump you should get fuel coming out.

can this "sock" mentioned be pulled out of the tank and cleaned?

Don't even think about it....usually the sock has disintegrated beyond repair. All those fragments will be swimming around in your fuel tank until either sucked through the lines, or dissolved completely. Best to remove the tank and give it a good flush out. Cleaning the lines out with air can be useful also if you able to do this. Then making sure there are no leaks, refill with quality fuel and try again.
My original fuel sender unit had a worn out sock - pieces all over the place.

Where I live, the first thing to check for is a tiny rust hole in the steel fuel line up high where it doesn't leak, but won't pull fuel either.
I've had this more than once.

Where I live, the first thing to check for is a tiny rust hole in the steel fuel line up high where it doesn't leak, but won't pull fuel either.
I've had this more than once.
Thx for the idea Dart - the thing is all the fuel lines are brand new - from the tank all the way to the carbs. But I'll put it on my list to check for anyway. I guess you never know for sure. Might be some other cause for a hole - rust is not likely though.

Don't even think about it....usually the sock has disintegrated beyond repair. All those fragments will be swimming around in your fuel tank until either sucked through the lines, or dissolved completely. Best to remove the tank and give it a good flush out. Cleaning the lines out with air can be useful also if you able to do this. Then making sure there are no leaks, refill with quality fuel and try again.
My original fuel sender unit had a worn out sock - pieces all over the place.

Thx Kiwi - I probably would have attempted to clean the unit. Not sure how I'm going to be able to remove that gas tank as I live in a very strict HOA. But that's my problem to solve. The sending unit is the original one to the car so it's 48 years old. Unfortunately I've also got a full tank of gas too.

These cars can be great fun when they're fun. They can also be stinkers when issues like this crop up. I do appreciate the advice and support from FBBO members!

I assume if fuel comes out of the feed line at the pump - then the fuel block is at the pump or in the line forward of the pump??? Which would mean the lines leading to the carbs from the pump???

Another question - can this "sock" mentioned be pulled out of the tank and cleaned? I realize to cure the problem the tank may need flushing. But am curious if the sock itself can be cleaned??
Yes, fuel should be pouring out of the line to the pump, especially with a full tank. As far as cleaning the sock it's better to get a new one or eliminate it completely. I removed mine years ago and replace it with a piece of rubber hose that reaches the bottom of the tank. I run a large summit brand in line filter before the fuel pump. Never have any fuel issues, but I also run an electric fuel pump too, that eliminates the pushrod problem too, Wich I have also had in the past. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back