• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb, carb, carb ......

65-440

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Another silly carb question. For my 383, what have you guys found to work best for street, sometimes heavy street use ( I do like to play! ) ... .030 over 383, stealth heads, comp 477/480 cam, headers, 9.44:1 compression, automatic, 2500 stall, 3.23 gear ... right now I'm running a borrowed 800AVS eddy and not liking it at all. A dog off the line, shitty hot starts, boils gas out of bowls very fast. Tried to tune too many times, about to throw in the towel. Was thinking 670 street avenger, another buddy says 850 thermoquad........

You can't go wrong with a Holley 3310 & a phoenelic spacer. A 3310 can be made to work great on any motor, with a little bit of tuning.

Here's a good one, on sale at Autozone with free shipping (ships from Holley)

Carb 82751.jpg

AND you're running the universal BAD GAS.? What do you expect? Has the carb been rebuilt? Mine sits for a week and have to wait for pump to fill carb before it even thinks about starting.

Bad gas, aren't we all .... mine cold starts just fine, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 pump and it fires. I've played with metering rod combos and can't seem to get it right. Acceleration from a stop sucks at best ...

Tweak out the leather/nylon(?) acc. pump plunger lip to make it seal better. The leather is better but don't if any out there anymore. Or, go with a Holley.?????

I played with several carbs before ordering a Quick Fuel Q750 off of 4seconds flat and will not be turning back. They had it calibrated to my specs and it performs flawlessly, cold starts (29 degrees) without a choke isn't even a problem. I've had great luck with any style Holley whether it be a Demon, Holley or Quick Fuel but the custom tuning at his price is a no brainer.

"747",thinking about the same. How's the garage coming??? Weather is mostly crap now up here.

I have got edelbrocks to run great on the street and strip even with a blow though paxton set up. They are really good carburetors, get the 670 holley avenger and enjoy your life.

+1 to 66Satellite47. Got a similar set up with the Holley 3310 and spacer. Holley and Edelbrock both suggested a 600-650 for mine. I had an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm on there, but could never get rid of a acceleration bog. I had the Holley 4160 from a previous project, so on it went. Much happier. Not saying Holley is better that Edelbrock since I thought Edelbrock was easier to tune, but my engine liked the bigger cfm.

Here ya go, built this 383 many years ago and kept it for a special occasion. +30, old school 509, Weiand 8008. Ported 906 heads and original worked exh manifolds. I bought a new 800 AVS and spent the better part of the summer tuning, to no avail. Still ran like crap. All i did was move the issues to either low end, or mid range. Pulled an old 3310 off the shelf, rebuilt it, 5.5 PV, 50cc pump, and 78 jets, Voila !!. A word on Eddy's tho, street cars need the insulator, or you've got the problem you described.
Side note, I did have a 650 AVS on the stock #s matching engine and it ran flawlessly.
20161105_163035.jpg

+1 to 66Satellite47. Got a similar set up with the Holley 3310 and spacer. Holley and Edelbrock both suggested a 600-650 for mine. I had an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm on there, but could never get rid of a acceleration bog. I had the Holley 4160 from a previous project, so on it went. Much happier. Not saying Holley is better that Edelbrock since I thought Edelbrock was easier to tune, but my engine liked the bigger cfm.

A little tinkering with a 3310, springs, squirters, jets makes a big difference depending on your application. I've also had great luck with a 850 DP with some tuning.

I have got edelbrocks to run great on the street and strip even with a blow though paxton set up. They are really good carburetors, get the 670 holley avenger and enjoy your life.
One of the carbs I tried was an 870 Avenger, jetted really lean out of the box but after a power valve swap and much bigger jets it was a solid carb and performed great. In my case I just prefered a double pumper but really liked the Avenger for cruising.

I should mention I had good results taking one of my 650 DP's off my tunnel ram setup, putting the 650 on a TM6 with a high winding 452 low deck and the 650 worked great. Smaller carb may not hurt you too much. But an 850 with good tuning sure does the job,

I think I'm leaning towards taking the 770 street avenger off my 340 4spd swinger and trying it out on the 383. Putting my friends AED 750 on the 340 ... if that doesn't do the trick then I'll grab a 3310 ....

Try whatever you can. I had really good experience with a new Carter AFB that worked for a few years.

I was really looking forward to getting this AVS to work, but not going so well !

Auto Transport Service
Back