• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carb for street

Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a street built 383 and have been looking for a good carb. The specs on the motor are 10.5 to 1 compression, lunati 60302 cam, ported edelbrock heads and intake and will be running tri 1 7/8 headers. Been lookin and a 770 street avenger or edelbrock thunder avs 800

I run the quickfuel 850 and its been really good for a couple of years with no issues.

I have sold a few AED 750 carb to guys with your similar set-up and they rock! My 383 is a little more aggressive and I use an AED 850. I haven't had the best of luck with Eddy carbs............

If your engine generates good idle vacuum (12 in hg or better) the AFB type works well - at least that's my experience. And for a mild 383 especially for the street I can't see the reason to use a 750 or larger. I'd go with a 625-650. I'm running a 750 AFB (Eddy) on a mild 440 and it pulls like a motha to about 6000 RPM.

800 AVS eddy here, same as meep pulls like a mutha humper I need more though :)

Im really liking the specs and the looks of the 800 avs, and everyone i talk to says Edelbrocks are better for street cars.

Not sure I would class his motor as "mild". The cam choice is a bit light for the cylinder head choice, but it should still pull great. My vote is 750 Holley/Quickfuel style carb.

Good Luck Bro!

Auto Transport Service
Back