• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor

rebootej

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Currently running a used but rebuilt by me 625 Speed Demon on my mildly rebuilt 318. It has had some running issues. My dad is running a Holley 575 Street Avenger on his 318 and he loves it. Debating a new carb, looking on summit.

Comparing the Summit Brand, the Quick Fuel, a standard Holley or the Holley Street Avenger.

Question one: Has any one run the Summit Brand or the Quick Fuel? The sales rep says the Summit one is made in the USA.

Question two: Whats that made difference between the Holley Aluminum Street Carb and the Holley Street Avenger? (I was going to call Holley and ask this too) But curious about your guys thoughts.

Finally advice?

Yes I've tried tune it several times. It runs ok but not great. Like i said it was used and rebuilt built by me. There was no out of the box. I suspect i may have been dropped before i had it (bent linkage) and there was corrosion in the secondary bowl. (cleaned up best I could)

What kind of "running issues" do you have? A 625cfm carb is on the big side for a mild 318, but not crazy big. I'd maybe give it one more rebuild & maybe a re-jetting before I threw it in the trash pile.

I'm not sure of the differences between the two carbs you mention.General advice - you don't need a high-dollar race carb on a mild motor

Yes its a little big. Idles rich and wants to lean out while running. I haven't tried rejetting yet.. The bent linkage was the choke so that doesnt work the greatest. Im an admitted carburetor newbie but my dads takes much less adjustment than mine seams too.

Looking for consistency I guess. This carb is temperamental.

Have you looked for a vacuum leak somewhere? That's the first thing to cross off the list.

The Summit brand carb is an older Holley design they tried. The only difference is the fuel inlet angle is angled downwards and the Holley was straight out. I used the Holley spreadbore model and found it OK.

The quick fuels have an excellent rep.

i put a new QF on my neighbors 71 F250 with 390. out of the box with some tweeking, it dosent run as well as id like....personally i think there is something wrong with it, but it runs better that the 40 yr old Holley it replaced, but thats not saying much.

i like the QF gasksets better than Holleys, but i like the Holley brand carbs better.
id try a street avenger if i was looking for a carb today.

you may want to try spending a couple of hundred bux with a professional carb builder and see if he can tweek the carb that you have now, and see how it dose.

this is my guy.

http://www.fuelcurvewest.net/

Thanks guys I emailed the carb builder about cost. No one up here rebuilds carbs any more. Yes i did check all my hoses and didn't find any vacuum leaks.
Ive heard great things about the quickfuels, but also heard Holley bought them? The summit has really good ratings and Ive been reading up on both...

According to my carb guy at Fuel Curve west, he stated the QF was started by 2 ex Holley engineers that happened to have held the pattents that holley was using. After one of the guys passed, the remaining owner sold out to Holley.

Dang have they gone down in quality since then? I really like the information Ive been reading about on their website. But having the Demon Rebuilt Seams like a good option too

Auto Transport Service
Back