• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carpet choice

Hanny

Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, looking for input on carpet for the 72 charger. I'm finishing up the floor pan install and will be shopping for carpet.
Do most use the loop carpet? mass backing or no?
Asking what everyone uses and places to get it. I have found many places on line and most are similar in price.
Rock auto even.

Thanks
charger floor.jpg

I used mass back ACC last car I put carpet in, a '70 Challenger. The rubber or whatever material backing they use was molded perfectly for the floorpan. It was more work to cut and trim. I should have wore gloves as I ended up with blisters on my hands, but in the end it was worth the pain and suffering!
I got mine from Rock Auto where I found the best price, and used one of their 5% codes. When it arrived I took it out of the box immediately and laid it out on the floor so it would would be flat with no creases or bends. I think most of their orders are made to order and drop shipped, so it probably had been rolled up less than a week when I got it.

I purchased mine from Stock Interiors. As for the mass backing, I did not order it since I had some difficult areas to work around.

Another vote mass backed ACC. Installed it in my ‘65 Belvedere this summer. Molded areas fit really nice. Trimming it was not difficult- used a good (new) pair of tin snips.

In case anyone was curious. Stock Interiors deals with carpet from ACC. So another vote for them. Stock Interiors was the better buy for my set.

I went with Legendary as I got in on their end of year sale and I needed some samples to match color with, which they will provide. Turns out the samples may not have been necessary as they have a data bank of carpet colors correct for interior material and color codes.

If you are using a sound deadener like kilmat, hush mat, don't get the mass backing. Order it without. Refer to post #6 on where to buy.

I did ACC also, '67 GTX.
Took it out of the box when I got it and laid all of it flat in the garage for 2 weeks.
This also helps get rid of the smell of the carpet, it's pretty strong when you get it, but goes away.
I installed it last summer here in CA, the weather was hot and the carpet liked it.
I did Kilmat in the whole car and carpet with no backing.
No tape or glue or anything, and the molding, trim pieces, seats, seat belts and center console holds it all down solid.
It was just the usual trimming here and there, cutting around mounting brackets, holes for seat belts and other things.
Took my time with a few beers and the fit was really good.
Good luck.

Resized_20230617_121117_800149290302577.jpg

Resized_20230618_090329_800106685687697.jpg

Resized_20230618_144020_800080470845155.jpg

Resized_20230625_150657_864435856558001.jpg

I did ACC also, '67 GTX.
Took it out of the box when I got it and laid all of it flat in the garage for 2 weeks.
This also helps get rid of the smell of the carpet, it's pretty strong when you get it, but goes away.
I installed it last summer here in CA, the weather was hot and the carpet liked it.
No tape or glue or anything, and the molding, trim pieces, seats, seat belts and center console holds it all down solid.
It was just the usual trimming here and there, cutting around mounting brackets, holes for seat belts and other things.
Good luck.

View attachment 1592805

View attachment 1592807

View attachment 1592815

View attachment 1592816
Doing mine the same way. Works well.

I did ACC also, '67 GTX.
Good luck.

View attachment 1592805

View attachment 1592807

View attachment 1592815

View attachment 1592816
Thank you, looks great.

Got my ACC carpet through Legendary when they were having a sale. (71/74 B-BODY AUTOMATIC LOOP CARPET KIT – BLACK)

52920674684_7c95df4aa8_z.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1537.jpg

Last edited:
I went right to ACC web page to see what I could see.
low and behold, they actually have a kit for a 78 Monaco 4 door. My police car needs a carpet, so this is very fortunate!

As I am looking through their drop menus, it asks "original material Cut Pile" or "Essex"

Anyone got experience with either to share? Color choices are more limited for regular cut pile, the "802 blue" looks to be aweful close if not the same as what was in the car from factory. I am not convinced I am going to go with a lighter blue mono-tone interior as factory had it though, so I am not against more color choices.

I bought the Essex from Summit. It’s more plush than the others, which is what I wanted - but it’s the most expensive. Very happy with it

IMG_2774.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back