• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New carpet - best price?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
I’ve read several threads on the purchase of new carpet with many, many replies suggesting the best deals were with Rock Auto and that it all gets dropped shipped from AC carpets.

So for my 67 I looked it up on Rock Auto and with backing it lists for $285.79.

At Legendary it currently lists for $195 with jute padding. Plus their 25% sale is currently on.

At ACC it lists for $323.70 - I can only assume with jute padding.

This looks like a pretty much done deal in favor of Legendary - not Rock Auto. Is there something I’m missing here? Is Legendary actually something other than ACC carpet?

I have an entire new interior from Legendary in the box To install this winter. Can’t see from the above how they aren’t the best deal in price and typically also quality. Thanks

I went with Rockauto

You must be looking at essex carpet. It's more expensive and not the type of carpet that originally came on the car. 80/20 loop is probaby what you want and what is listed on legendary for $199 and probably doesn't include mass backing. 80/20 loop on rockauto is $149. $210 with mass backing.

I went back to double check and this time I got a sale price from ACC lowering it to $174.70 for loop pile but adding mass backing to it adds $73.42 to it. Also checking Rock Auto again it also went down to $210.99 for loop pile with mass backing. They must have just put it on sale within the last hour as the prices have all changed just like that. Legendary just says its loop pile and doesn’t mention if it has backing.

So that now does bear out Rock Auto being the better deal.

I guess if you don’t like the price just check back in in an hour or so. :realcrazy:

So now Rock Auto lists Red and Maroon. Does anyone know which matches up correctly to the 66/67 metallic red vinyl interior? I’m guessing Pred but would like to be sure.

thanks

red carpet is really red so don’t get that.

you almost need a color sample before ordering

been there on the 67 red and had to return it, there goes any good deal you had.

and what is loop pile? Is it like the original carpet? 80/20 loop is original.

what is mass backing?

If I can’t find anyone who has already been through this on the metallic red interior then I’ll have to ask for samples. Loop was simply an abbreviated typing on my part for 80/20. Mass backing I’m not completely sure except factory jute padding is described as being in addition to it.

If I can’t find anyone who has already been through this on the metallic red interior then I’ll have to ask for samples. Loop was simply an abbreviated typing on my part for 80/20. Mass backing I’m not completely sure except factory jute padding is described as being in addition to it.

Mass backing is shown in this video.

Says its equal to factory so it has the jute backing.
Technical Notes

**1966-1970 B-BODY AUTOMATIC LOOP CARPET KIT. THE FINEST AVAILABLE TODAY! **TWO-PIECE PRE-MOLDED SHAPE COMPOSED OF 100% 6,6 NYLON LOOP YARN CALLED RAYLON. **MOLDED TWO-PIECE SHAPE TO FIT THE CONTOURS OF YOUR SPECIFIC MODEL FLOORPAN (TRIMMING MAY BE REQUIRED). **36oz. JUTE PADDING INCLUDED WHERE PADDING WAS ORIGINAL. **VINYL BOUND EDGE WHERE THE FRONT AND REAR SECTIONS OF THE CARPET OVERLAP. **COLOR MATCHED ORIGINAL HEEL PAD ACCURATELY APPLIED USING THE SAME METHOD AS OEM. **MEETS OR EXCEEDS OEM SPECIFICATIONS. **DIMMER SWITCH GROMMET INCLUDED. **COLOR SAMPLES ARE AVAILABLE FOR COLORS OTHER THAN BLACK. **DYE LOTS WILL VARY +/- 10%. THIS IS COMMON IN THE CARPET INDUSTRY. CUSTOMERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ORDER ALL CARPETED PRODUCTS AT THE SAME TIME TO ENSURE MATCHING DYE LOT. **FOR YEARS AND MODELS NOT LISTED PLEASE CALL OUR SALES DEPARTMENT AT 800-363-8804.

Are you using this code: 251042107144673601 to save an additional 5% off at rock auto, expires December 29th.

I had the metallic red interior in a 1967 Coronet wagon I built years ago. I went with the maroon carpet and never regretted it. Yeah, the red carpet is really RED. Should only be used with bright red interiors, like Super Stock cars.

To further complicate things, Legendary was the only place that specifically listed the console pieces also being available although I know some places like Classic also have them as I got some there last year on another car. Considering the mettalic red issue I probably should replace them too at this time. With their annual sale price is probably not much different.

You priced out Essex at rock auto. You probably don’t want Essex. It’s thick and fuzzy.
So…. You are not comparing the same things between rock auto and year one. Rock auto is cheaper all the time!

rock auto on loop 80 20 molded carpet with jute for you car (if it’s a 67 GTX, guessing here) regular price is $149.79
same carpet with mass backing is regularly $210.99.

year one has to offer you 25% off to match rock auto’s regular price.

both carpets will come from ACC regardless of where you order From.

I’d order from rock auto myself. I have bought several carpets from them and have been happy. I prefer the ones with mass backer for ease of installation.

search this site or the web for a 5% off rock auto discount code.

rock auto most definitely does list the console carpet. Look under ’Center console trim’ under the interior section.

I bet rock auto has cheaper shipping too.

To further complicate things, Legendary was the only place that specifically listed the console pieces also being available although I know some places like Classic also have them as I got some there last year on another car. Considering the mettalic red issue I probably should replace them too at this time. With their annual sale price is probably not much different.
See my other post On this thread. Rock auto all the way!

Rockauto has the console pieces but they're listed under "Center console trim".

Here's another seller i've heard people say good things about on this site. They'll also send you color samples of carpet so you can compare which red you need. It's probably the same acc carpet like most others sell.

For Canadian customers, RockAuto is a good way to go. Once you type your address in, the site shows the prices in Canadian $, so you know what the price will be with the exchange rate factored in. They also collect Canadian taxes. The item arrives in a few days, with no extra brokerage fees and taxes. It would be nice if more U.S. suppliers were this efficient.

Thanks Sam and Dave. Kind of leaning towards Legendary because they should be able to send color samples out and their 25% off sale. Of course after the samples, I guess I can go to whoever has the best pricing and ACC supplier.

Auto Transport Service
Back