• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet pictures for 66-70 4 speed

440 4 speed

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
I would appreciate seeing the carpet pictures that are installed before the seats and console. Also good pictures of the firewall showing the holes and cuts.
No I do not have access at this time to get my old carpet.
Thanks

I’m going to take out an original carpet from a 4 speed, but January is not the time to do it. Can you wait until April?

the firewall and perimeter details are the same auto and 4 speed. Just the console brackets and hump are different.

I’m going to take out an original carpet from a 4 speed, but January is not the time to do it. Can you wait until April?

the firewall and perimeter details are the same auto and 4 speed. Just the console brackets and hump are different.
Thanks. I don’t remember if the carpet is sliced for the clutch rod. Will look at your pictures you posted, just have to locate them.

I am in the process of doing just the same thing. I will take a picture of the original for you. There is a round hole for the accelerator pedal arm, a round hole for the dimmer switch, and a rectangular hole in the plastic foot pad for the accelerator pedal to sit into where it bolts to the floor. There is a little notch around the steering column and another around e brake cable, I think. The passenger side is cut right where it meets the heater box. The area around the shifter is gone on mine, but I assume that it is cut right around the inside of the hole, after it is all pulled up tight.
Make sure that you weight it all down to get the creases out of it before you do any cutting.

I am in the process of doing just the same thing. I will take a picture of the original for you. There is a round hole for the accelerator pedal arm, a round hole for the dimmer switch, and a rectangular hole in the plastic foot pad for the accelerator pedal to sit into where it bolts to the floor. There is a little notch around the steering column and another around e brake cable, I think. The passenger side is cut right where it meets the heater box. The area around the shifter is gone on mine, but I assume that it is cut right around the inside of the hole, after it is all pulled up tight.
Make sure that you weight it all down to get the creases out of it before you do any cutting.
Thanks. What about the clutch rod!

1967 coronet automatic. Big cut out for the clutch rod, even on automatics. Why? Because a manual 3 on the column uses the same floor as an automatic but has a clutch rod.

see the hole for the gas pedal rod. And also the cut in the carpet for the pivot. That is just a straight cut without any material removed.
FC5D2D81-1526-4FC8-9525-EEDED2FE5359.png

Yes there is a notch for the clutch rod.

20230118_170910.jpg

I just laid my carpet in about two weeks ago and an letting it get the wrinkles out from being rolled up in the box for 10 years. I have been trying to figure out how to get the hole for the gas pedal arm correctly located. Does any one have tips?

I did read through all of the posts from the link above.

I just laid my carpet in about two weeks ago and an letting it get the wrinkles out from being rolled up in the box for 10 years. I have been trying to figure out how to get the hole for the gas pedal arm correctly located. Does any one have tips?

I did read through all of the posts from the link above.

I honestly never liked the hole in the carpet for the gas pedal. Ran mine up under the gas pedal bracket. Much cleaner IMO and no chance of the carpet interfering with the pedal or the floor showing thru. Since you've got the carpet in already i'd remove the gas pedal, put the carpet over top of the gas pedal rod, get it as flat as you can, and "feel" the location where it needs to be thru the carpet first, and put a small awl thru at that point. Make sure you account for the depth (gas pedal rod at bracket to where the hole needs to be) so you dont cut it too high in the carpet. This is easier done than said. Allow yourself some room for error, so start with a small hole just large enough for the gas pedal rod. You can enlarge it once you know the basic hole in the carpet is in the right spot to allow for the movement of the pedal.

For the OP;

As far as installing the carpet, don't cut the carpet or any holes first; lay the carpet in the car, remove anything thats in the way (shifter etc), and pick a starting point. For me that was the 4 speed floor shifter. Since the carpet was molded for it it showed me where the carpet needed to sit, and allowed me to see how much needed to be removed from the firewall side of the carpet. "Punch" holes for console brackets, etc, and make sure your carpet is flat on the floor before you do so -- once you punch a small hole then cut slots after you verified everything is correct. Also, leave the sides long. Don't trim the sides up all the way until you have everything installed -- seats, console -- etc; as this will pull the carpet down, and its better to have too much at the sides/sills than not enough. Once all that is done and your carpet is installed, then you can cut the slots/holes for shift linkage/gas pedal/etc at the firewall. Otherwise if you try to cut them any other time they will not be right. After all that is done make your final trims to get everything fitting perfect on the sides etc.

You can use a heat gun to smooth wrinkles -- from the back side -- and a soldering iron to punch holes for a seat belt bolt, or seat bolt etc; makes it much cleaner.

20221228_204253.jpg

20230118_215650.jpg

Last edited:
Was a dimmer switch grommet used in '66 on the assembly line, or no grommet like a '69 on Lynch Road?

Your way of dong the carpet just looks silly. I don’t want to see that mechanism, it’s not a 50’s Jeep.

Chrysler made thousands of 66-70 B-body cars that way and the gas pedals don’t stick, they made it through the warranty and 5 decades later. If they did stick it would be a massive recall.

Think of how much labor time you way would have cost them. They carpet and seats was the last thing to go in the car.
I honestly never liked the hole in the carper for the gas pedal

Here's a 66 coronet 440 4dr convert.
20230120_161827.jpg
20230120_161838.jpg
20230120_161846.jpg

Your way of dong the carpet just looks silly. I don’t want to see that mechanism, it’s not a 50’s Jeep.

Chrysler made thousands of 66-70 B-body cars that way and the gas pedals don’t stick, they made it through the warranty and 5 decades later. If they did stick it would be a massive recall.

Think of how much labor time you way would have cost them. They carpet and seats was the last thing to go in the car.

Hahaha. My silly carpet looks great. You can't see anything other than the pedal itself, as the rest is up under the dash. Only way to see it is crawl under the dash.

Auto Transport Service
Back