• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter carbs

anthony69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
What are the different between a 4 barrel carter carb for manual to auto. Is it the linkage that are different. Because I have a chance to buy one for automatic trans part # H8-4638s, the parts manual said the part # is 4615 for manual trans.

What are the different between a 4 barrel carter carb for manual to auto. Is it the linkage that are different. Because I have a chance to buy one for automatic trans part # H8-4638s, the parts manual said the part # is 4615 for manual trans.
The 4638 is for a 383 with auto and a/c. The 4615 is for manual or auto without a/c. The carbs with a/c applications have a hot idle compensator to relieve a rich condition at idle.

IMO....Most of the differences between CARTER automatic transmission and manual transmission applications lies in the primary booster venturii clusters as this is where the idle, off idle transfer circuits reside. USUALLY but not always, standard transmission applications have a slightly richer transition circuit to allow for inertia and clutch application. Automatic transmission applications have the advantage of the torque converter allowing for a slightly leaner mixture. Sometimes the difference bdtween the teo types is the location of the transition slot in the primary bores.
Later, as emission requirements became more stringent, leaner and leaner idle and off idle circuits became more prevalent along with leaner metering components and slower spark advance characteristics, and faster choke warm up to reduce emissions......all this resulting in off idle stumbles, hard starting and generally poor drive-ability until totally wsrmed up. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back