• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter fuel pump leaking

crossram 426

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, just noticed my fuel pump on the 440 is leaking out of the 2 small holes on the main body. It's squirting out both sides when the engine is running. What would cause this? cheers in advance. Matt

I believe that means the pump is bad. I suggest you install a new one before your car catches fire.

got one coming today thankfully, is it a diaphragm inside gone bad?

Usually its indicative of a tear in the diaphragm. Check your oil too, just to make sure you are not pumping gas into the crankcase.

Fran & Ski.....good call gentlemen! I'd just change the oil/filter to be sure.

By the way, coloradodave was selling one of these pumps on here just a couple days ago. Don't know if it's still available, but his was very reasonable and Dave is a stand up dude.

Those pumps are notorious to develop leaks due to the usual cheap components and crappy pump gas......

As mopower stated keep a spare kit handy......I had a spare kit as well for my charger.....

Those pumps are notorious to develop leaks due to the usual cheap components and crappy pump gas......

As mopower stated keep a spare kit handy......I had a spare kit as well for my charger.....
Oh man, don't tell me that. I have one on mine also. :(

Oh man, don't tell me that. I have one on mine also. :(
Once I put the Mancini kit in it, I didn't have any problems but I bought a spare just in case.....It is the typical cheap manufacturer internal items initially......

pump arrived an hour ago...swapped it out checked the oil...started her up and no more leaks.....very happy. Thanks for all the help fellas much appreciated. Matt

Once I put the Mancini kit in it, I didn't have any problems but I bought a spare just in case.....It is the typical cheap manufacturer internal items initially......

I thought I read somewhere on here that the kits Mancini is /was selling were not very good. Is this still an issue or is it safe to buy a kit to have on the shelf? Just curious.

I thought I read somewhere on here that the kits Mancini is /was selling were not very good. Is this still an issue or is it safe to buy a kit to have on the shelf? Just curious.
My kit is still working fine for the past 4 years.......

Mancini kit is not for original Carter pumps based on picture. They show a 6 hole diaphragm which is similar to Ford/Chevy versions. Mopar Carter pumps are 8 hole. THere are other companies that sell a good kit for rebuild. I have done several for Hemi motors. Remember not all pumps are rebuildable, in fact originals for 383/440 were not. Different type.

IMG_0984.JPG

There are a few companies that can rebuild original pumps........

Back to the topic of newer pumps...ski I believe it was the MR version....

Doesn't matter new or original, you need to know what you have. I have rebuild new carter pumps too. If Mancini has there own brand made by carter with 6 holes, which mimic the Chevy Ford versions it won't work on other Carter pumps using 8 holes with out modification.

The internals are all the same other then spring tension and obviously the lever arm.
But for an OEM motor you would have had a 8 screw Carter.

Auto Transport Service
Back