• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carter WCFB Help

matthon

Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a WCFB?

Purchased a completely refurbished and rebuilt 4 barrel WCFB and intake, bolted it on, started up, does not idle.

I adjusted everything, per a 57 Dodge manual, including floats, float drop, accelerator pump, etc.
Also, adjusted the metering rods, although the manual is not very clear on this, at least to me, page below.

I went to adjust the idle mixture screws and there are none, there are threaded holes, but no screws.
Manual mentions idle mixture screws, shows a pic, nothing more.

I never ran an engine without idle mixture screws, wouldn't it dump gas all over?
Carb only has fuel with the accelerator pump.

Any insight is appreciated.

20221002_174955_001.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-200018.jpg

I never ran an engine without idle mixture screws, wouldn't it dump gas all over?
I would think it would suck air, go lean and idle badly, if the holes are open.

Does it have the idle screw? Sounds like it's running okay just need to open the throttle plate a bit.
Screenshot_20221002-205508_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The above picture is the choke fast idle. These pictures are showing the throttle stop.
wcfb-throttle-valve.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-211820_Chrome.jpg

I copied this from this site. Highlighted in red are links to troubleshooting and parts. It does look like the mixture screws are missing? I can't find a picture looking at it head on to verify.
Carter WCFB Rebuild Kit Selection - Mikes Carburetor Parts

There are several youtube videos on this carb also.

Last edited:
The above picture is the choke fast idle. This picture is showing the throttle stop.
View attachment 1351797

I copied this from this site. Highlighted in red are links to troubleshooting and parts. It does look like the mixture screws are missing? I can't find a picture looking at it head on to verify.
Carter WCFB Rebuild Kit Selection - Mikes Carburetor Parts

There are several youtube videos on this carb also.
I totally agree.....someone did not install the idle mixture screws. IMO...without the mixture screws, air will be sucked in and because there is a definite lack of vscuum in the carb's idle mixture passages, fuel will not transfer from the jets, air bleeds to the idle mixture transfer and off idle circuits, resulting is stalling due to a very lean condition. THE IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS MUST BE PRESENT FOR PROPER OPERATION. Just my opinion of course. See attached pix below. Its not your carb but is typical of the WCFB design.
BOB RENTON

1664761528802.png

Last edited:
Yeah, somebody took the screws out and lost them. Maybe AFB screws will work?

I have a couple wcfb vette carbs, and a couple afb's. I can compare idle screws if it helps.

I have a couple wcfb vette carbs, and a couple afb's. I can compare idle screws if it helps.
Please do. Any pics would help. Maybe the original 2 barrel screws are the same?

Does it have the idle screw?
It has the idle speed screw, difficult to get to with a screwdriver but easy with a small socket, as well as the fast idle adjusting screw.
I adjusted both, but the only fuel it's getting is from the accelerator pump.

The choke was stuck open when I first fired it, was sitting 32 years, and it idled high as heck, too high, so I shut it down.
Hasn't idled since.

I never ran a carb without mixture screws so had no idea what that would do.
I think I was thinking the mixture screws were behind those 2 plugs in front, but once I got my hands on a manual it was obvious they were not.

It just never occurred to me some sort of mixture device would be missing, carb is clean throughout, very nicely done, came with air filter gasket and intake gasket too.

Does the seller still have them? Do you have a carb number?

Last edited:
Right screw is from a 3705 maxwedge afb.
Left screw is from a 270hp corvette dual quad wcfb
Not the same.

20221003_141339.jpg

I have 4 extra 2 barrel carbs, all Stromberg, all virtually identical (looking) to the BBD, except the idle screws.

I have 1 BBD on my wagon, not taking parts off a running car.

I'll be ordering those asap, thank you all!

Auto Transport Service
Back