• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ceramic or powder coating for intake and carbs?

koosh

Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score
I plan some engine compartment bling, and wanted to hear from anyone with experience on which coating to go with for a similar to chrome look?

Last edited:
Powder coating that looks like chrome tarnishes the second you touch it. If you put clear over it, it doesn’t look like chrome anymore.

Powder coating that looks like chrome tarnishes the second you touch it. If you put clear over it, it doesn’t look like chrome anymore.
And what about ceramic?

I plan some engine compartment bling, and wanted to hear from anyone with experience on which coating to go with for a similar to chrome look?

Chrome replica powders look all right as long as they aren't next to or visually near "real" chrome (I.e., powdered bumperettes on a triple plated chrome bumper). You can tell at a glance it's not the same.
Most replicas are not UV stable on their own either so a clear topcoat is required ... which sadly dulls any chrome look it had after the first coat. If my customer is set on chrome, I prefer a single stage (UV stable) and try to use it as an accent rather than a main color.
larry-mayes-coke-bench-001_1-1946617711.jpg

Powder is also really tough compared to paint but it's not indestructible. You wouldn't want it on anything directly subjected to fuel. Though the external portions of your carb and linkage should be okay, the masking can be a challenge. Silicone plugs to protect internal threads are absolutely crucial.

If it matters, most of my customers choose a silver that replicates brand new aluminum rather than chrome.
psc-2018-august-004-875453036.jpg

IMG_20240216_175337.jpg

Keep in mind that there are several formulations of ceramic coatings for most any substrate. I encourage you to do your own research with the company who pioneered the industry and decide what might work best for your application. (Intakes don't typically get hot enough to require a high temp formulation.)
Cerakote.com

I hope this helps. Hit me up if I can help out with that bling you seek.

Auto Transport Service
Back