• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

changing fuel inlet on edlbrock

MD Mopar

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the fuel inlet on an edelbrock. Looking to change the fuel inlet on my 750 edelbrocks for a cross ram manifold ? also where can you purchase the plugs for the fuel inlet that is no longer used.
thanks
Grant

Yeah, I did both 600 Edelbrocks on mine.
If I remember right, ordered the inlets from Edelbrock, same time I got the so-called insulated base gaskets. (I'll see how that works, once I hit the road. So far, good.)

also where can you purchase the plugs for the fuel inlet that is no longer used.
Because of the straight threads in it, I picked up brass thread adapters, o.d. straight, i.d. pipe, with brass drilled hex head pipe plugs, and safety-wired.

Don't remember the thread size on the inlet, but had to buy a tap for it, with the right size drill bit. Only one chance, so go slow! Good idea to pull a inlet, to match up the cut.

the tap size is 5/8 x 20, I've done it also, I made plugs out of the nipple fitting, cut off the nipple an braze the hole shut. worked fine. I think you can buy the plugs also.

The trouble is standard 5/8 fine thread is 18 threads per inch, not 20. With the proper tool and drill press or mill it's easy. Jakes Automotive, Utica Mi does them.
Doug
1027121338.jpg

The trouble is standard 5/8 fine thread is 18 threads per inch, not 20. With the proper tool and drill press or mill it's easy. Jakes Automotive, Utica Mi does them.
Doug
View attachment 574412
Like this pic ! I drilled and tapped the empty side on a 750 many yrs ago, to make a dual feed. This is the first time I`ve seen someone else do it ! LOOKS great !

The Thunder series carbs are dual feed out of the box.

Doug what is that intake manifold? Looks very nice.

Thanks everyone. A friend told me to use 5/8-16 tap. I will have to double check the size. How about the plug ? does anyone know where I can buy some?
Grant

I will have to double check the size.
Like me, I had to hunt for the right tap. $40-something, at a good hardware/tool store.
Found the reducers, and plugs at Home Depot, specialty brass fittings.

Is there a way to delete a double post???

Remember it's 5/8-20, oddball size. Normal 5/8" taps are 5/8-18, 5/8-11.
Doug what is that intake manifold? Looks very nice.
It is an Indy 440-25 cross ram with an in line top.
Doug

Remember it's 5/8-20, oddball size. Normal 5/8" taps are 5/8-18, 5/8-11.

It is an Indy 440-25 cross ram with an in line top.
Doug
I took the poor boys way out, it was on a 406 sbc for a time , till I needed a larger carb.. I used a 3/8" pipe tap, and a 3/8" pipe to hose barb fitting. Remember , I SAID CHEVY !!!

Called edelbrock today and the tech said it was a 5/8-20 thread, but they don't sell the plugs separately. I have looked on line and cannot find anyone that sells the plugs. I will keep on searching.

Be careful the above link is for a 7/8-20 fitting. The correct part number for the 5/8-20 one is 90-42B

Auto Transport Service
Back