• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger “metal torsion sound” very slow speed turns

The only way is like I said in post #17. Remove the drums and look for a broken spring or debris in and around the brake shoe area.

SIXPACTOGO...thank you. My next step will be that in a few hours. I appreciate the help.

So....no broken springs. Everything in there looks good. I just had the drums and shoes measured for a safety inspection so all good there. Adjustment. Where to go now? lol

A road test indicates that it takes about 15 mins of driving and braking for it to start to happen. before that nothing. Heat related?

I know you said you thought the noise was coming from the rear but in post #12 you also said it happened after you used the brakes. That is why I asked you to check for a broken brake spring. Do you have front drums also? Did you check them for debris or a broken spring. Sounds can travel. I once had a jingling sound that I thought was coming from under the floor of a Challenger I had. Turned out it was a front wheel bearing dust cap that fell off and was rattling around in the wheel center cap. Good luck! Some of these gremlins are hard to find.

I do have front drums as well.

So I removed all the parts on the rear to start...cleaned...adjusted as per the FSM...so far so good. The sound is not there anymore. Going for a good run tomorrow so will see what happens when everything heats up. I love to learn things. I love my car for that.

I posted #19, if your noise occurs when the car is stopped? If you steer the wheel lock to lock are you hearing any of the noise you describe both moving and stopped? Another culprit is ample wheel clearance 'rubbing' sound you describe if you might have oversize wheels/tires. Rear end or rear wheel bearing noises are typically pronounced when turning though give off a whirring, chattering, or growling sound kinda unlike what you mentioned so reason I'm mentioning. If a wheel bearing is bad fluid change doesn't tackle that and if it's a differential defect, fluid won't help this either. Another check is to measure the axle shaft slack on each wheel for any excess play - out of spec.

If you still have the noise, something I haven't seen mentioned yet...check clearance between support plate and drum. I had aftermarket rear drums with a notch not deep enough to clear the rim of the support plate. Metal-metal noise only occurred when turning, was a biatch to find. Had to remove some of the support plate rim to eliminate the noise.

Ok. Thanks for all the things to try.

Sounds does not occur when parked and just steering stop to stop. Only slow tight turns. From rear. Like a “scrooping” sound. As soon as straighten out its gone.

A little more playing with it...it only starts after the car has been out for about 20 mins of driving. Before that...nothing. 3 check runs now and all the same.

Is the MOPAR friction modifier a must...or will any brand do...like AC delco or whatever?

It sounds like you have found your gremlin. I hope the flush and re lube works for you. Luckily, I have never had and issue like that and I've had several sure grip cars.

So....success!! Followed the instructions as per the factory manual...drained the gear oil...reinstalled with proper mopar friction additive...drained....refilled again with about 5-6 ozs of mopar friction additive...the grinding sound on tight turns is 90-95% gone. Way better. Next time under there I will prob add another oz to see if it takes away the last little bit. Pleased!!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Find a large vacant parking lot and drive in tight circles in both directions. Any bystanders will think you're crazy but it will force the sure grip to do its thing.

Find a large vacant parking lot and drive in tight circles in both directions. Any bystanders will think you're crazy but it will force the sure grip to do its thing.
Reminds me of the time when I was in tech school. I parked on an expansive parking lot that was usually empty when I got there for early classes. I had my old Challenger then and decided I'd do a few doughnuts before I parked until I saw another car coming in...well chit, it was my class instructor for my safety engineering class!

Reminds me of the time when I was in tech school. I parked on an expansive parking lot that was usually empty when I got there for early classes. I had my old Challenger then and decided I'd do a few doughnuts before I parked until I saw another car coming in...well chit, it was my class instructor for my safety engineering class!

HaHa. That would be my luck too! I hope you told him you were training your sure grip?

HaHa. That would be my luck too! I hope you told him you were training your sure grip?
He was quite odd in a likeable sort of way...you know what type A and B people are...best I could describe him is a type C! lol

So....it’s not cured.

Went for a long cruise tonight. Noise is still there..but...with a little more testing...

The noise only occurs when turning to the left. Approach a stop sign...brake...turn left...here comes the noise. Do the same but turn right. Zero sound. Does not have to be a wheel to the stop turn.

Wheel bearing or still maybe in the diff? It still sounds like coming from the rear?

I'd check your bearings to be safe.

A wheel rear bearing that's on its way out will make more noise turning in one direction of the other most notably if it's the right bearing it will make more noise turning left (so I'm recollecting the diagnosis). They typically will make more noise at a certain speed more often in my experiences around 30 - 40 mph range; though by then wind and tire or road noise can drown out more of the sound. If it gets further bad the noise will be worse and at lower/higher speed. As for the more common noise it is a whirring or low growling sound. In your hunt as has been posted, you should rule this out as the problem if not already. Also as posted rule out any rubbing going on from contact points from steering and wheel rotation, possibly loose or worn suspension parts, shocks, include left turn body sway forces since this is the only time you hear the noise.

So...it looks like its the rear diff. In a tight turn you can see the inside tire kind of “skipping” “shuddering” as it slowly turns. My older gentleman mopar tech says he can remember putting in that sure grip in the 90’s. Probably worn out. We’re gonna open it up and most likely put in new clutch plates. Looking forward to getting in there actually to see how everything looks. Called a few places today here in Canada to find the clutches...no luck. (P4529484). Keep looking tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back