• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger A pillar patch question

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
I have a crusty 68 I have been working on. It needs the a small section of the driver a pillar patched on 2/3 sides. I have a donor from a 70 roadrunner. My plan was to remove all the spot welds, separate the panels, blast/primer the inside and mig or tig them onto the car one section at a time. Preferably just patching vs replacing the lower part since I might not pull the cowl.

My question is whether this pitting in the donor can be reliably filled with dura glass or filler? I know you don’t want filler over a certain depth...but I’d assume this would be fine.

This is probably an easy answer for some of you seasoned guys. I just want to do it all right to begin with.

BE2A1372-3B89-4BAA-8B9A-BE36923215C4.jpeg 628A71DB-E7F7-4FB0-A196-67925BE20786.jpeg 299B02D0-92A9-4FD1-843A-7D1ED2784C53.jpeg 230ED885-1364-48A8-9145-144653B600AF.jpeg

I'd open the crusty one up as low as possible so you can peek down inside and get a good assessment. My guess is you'll want to replace it all with that open hole, water has likely pooled down in the bottom. As far as the pits go on the donor goes, I'd drill them through then open them up until you reach full thickness and patch them. Might be easier to cut that small section out and patch it as one though?? You could try just filling them in with your MIG but they'll likely blow through.

Would you think the cowl needs to come off since the pillar welds underneath?
I had mine off and can't remember how that all ties together but yes at least opened up if it looks bad in there... the picture looks bad. First thing I'd do is cut enough out of the A pillar so you can look inside then make the call. If that's all I was doing and nothing else inside the cowl needed addressed I would just remove the absolute minimum corner of it, make the repairs and weld it back on. Tape off a clean cut line using the shortest path across the panel then using a 1/16" wide cutoff wheel cut it off as cleanly as possible, after the repairs are done you should be able to replace the corner and stich the 1/16" gap shut.

Tie the pillar before you section it.
They will move. If the rest of the car is pretty solid there is quite a bit of tennsion on that pillar.
Pits..... as long as the are spot blasted and all rust removed you can fill them.
If the rust was coming from inside out it has to be cut out.

Auto Transport Service
Back