• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Checking for Battery drain

Chi Town Runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
I'm using this site because I respect the experts here.
This question is on my 2028 Lincoln MKX not my '68 Road Runner.

Can I use the multi meter (attached) to check for a drain on my battery when the car is turned off?

If so, some instructions on setting on the meter and procedures......
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank
Auto Meter.jpg

You would use the A setting. Id probably start with the 10 setting black in common position red in A position . You will need to place it inline with the suspected drain. Say you think its instrument cluster, remove that fuse and instert red lead one side of fuse holder and black lead in the other side. Newer cars have circuits that draw current for up to 30 mins after ignition off and doors closed. Some may even have continuous draw. Best of luck.

My wife has a 2020 Nautilus and it has the same issue. She doesn't drive it maybe once a week and setting in the garage the battery goes down. It's never failed to start but it shows messages when she starts it. We took it back to dealer and they said they checked everything and it was okay. I finally got tired of the issues and put a battery tender on it. No issues now but having to keep a battery tender on it is bulls#*@.

When I have these kind of issues, I disconnect the Positive post from the battery. Set the meter up like post 2 suggests. Put the meter leads in series with the battery post positive and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until the current flow goes away. If you still have a drain, it more than likely is under the hood. Maybe the alternator diode. You have to be patient and diligent but you will figure it out. Good Luck!

When I have these kind of issues, I disconnect the Positive post from the battery. Set the meter up like post 2 suggests. Put the meter leads in series with the battery post positive and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until the current flow goes away.
I do this also but I use a test light in series instead of a volt/ohm/amp meter.

Last edited:
Easiest way to check is pull one battery cable. Connect any normal probe style test light between the removed cable and the bare battery post. If the lamps lights you have a draw. Be aware if you have a newer stlye radio the retained memory will show a dim illumination draw.
Doug

first on a vehicle as new as OBDII 1995 or newer, they have a butt load of onboard modules and computers. When checking for voltage draw one thing to remember is that you have to wait for the computers to go to sleep before checking the draw, and when pulling fuses, sometimes when you put fuses back in, it wakes up a computer and you start all over again. The other issue is most vehicles have two or more fuse boxes, when you open the door interior lights come on, body control module wakes up and most meters will not take the amperage draw, pop the fuse or burn the meter. I worked on a Cadillac one time that had one fuse box under the rear seat, besides the ones under the hood and dash.
read Testing for Parasitic Draw with a Multimeter | Test Meter Pro

I am retired now but when I was a working technician voltage draws were always a nightmare to fix on newer vehicles.

Auto Transport Service
Back