• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - What did I damage? - I reversed the jumper cables on battery charger

My RR is running again!

Thanks to all for advice.

I removed 7 of 8 wires from bullhead connector and installed them in a new male connector with a new 16 ga fusible link.

I had to Dremel out the wire to the alternator from connector. It was heat distorted, but still useable.

When I plugged it in and installed a new battery it started immediately.

Ammeter charging fine.

The Diodes in alternator and fusible link did their job!

Not easy removing these barbed connectors from old plastic connectors.

That 383 exhaust rumble has soothed my hurt pride.

Cheers!

R. Renton,
Read my last post again.....& make sure you have you're glasses on. IN YOUR HASTE TO FIND FAULT WITH EVERTYTHIONG I WRITE, YOU INVENT THINGS.
A lot of people are not electrically savvy. Hence my simple example of diode bought from an electronics store, how it works & how it is rated.
I DID NOT SUGGEST OR RECOMMEND USING THIS DIODE IN THE ALT.

"There is zero reverse current flow through the junction if the polarity is reversed".
Did you miss this: when the polarity is reversed, it blocks current flow.
You apparently know very little about alts.

There is no faulty assumption about diodes on my part, nor incorrect reasoning. The only incorrect reasoning has come from YOU......
In the diagram of an alt below, the diodes are reverse biased with the bat polarity correct. With bat polarity reversed, the power diodes are forward biased; with no limiting resistance in the cct, the diodes will blow from the huge current surge.

View attachment 1524248
Incorrect reasoning and asumption....once again
The diagram you show is for an early GM alternator circuit, using an indicator lamp in conjunction with a field relay for initial charging and a mechanical voltage regulator circuit, a diode trio (GM's nomenclature) that provides the DC to power the rotor voltage and current. This has NOTHING to do with the "power diodes" which are not reversed biased. The later GM alternator designs use an internal electronic voltage regulator. I suggest you go back to looking a vacuum advance hook ups, and things that you may understand.....let's compare what you think you know to what you really understand.....to your design credentials to mine.....
BOB RENTON

All I can say without reading all the posts is to get a charger that lets you know when you hook things up backwards. I've done that too and it sucks. One time I'm looking at the stuff and thinking 'don't hook things backwards' and did it anyways! The charger I have now won't charge if the leads are on wrong plus a bright light will light up.

All I can say without reading all the posts is to get a charger that lets you know when you hook things up backwards. I've done that too and it sucks. One time I'm looking at the stuff and thinking 'don't hook things backwards' and did it anyways! The charger I have now won't charge if the leads are on wrong plus a bright light will light up.
Geoff 2 is using a old GM alternator circuit to "emphasize (?)" the point of hooking ip the battery charger in reverse. The designer of the origional alternator circuit (and subsequent revisions) has selected diodes whose PIV or Peak Inverse Voltage capabilities (reverse voltage and current) exceed the possibility of putting 12 volts in reverse order. It is highly likely that the diodes selected have a minimum of 200 volt PIV level (possibly more). Thd only way to determine the diode's PIV voltage AND its forward amperage rating is to look up the diodes rating by it's number; ie, 1N4000 or similar designation against design capabilities by manufacturer. Making incorrect or inaccurate assumptions causes the lesser knowledgeable readers down the wrong path......moral......get it correct or say nothing......
BOB RENTON

And get educated Bob!

Place a diode in the forward bias direction across a 12v battery...& it will blow unless it can pass several hundred amps in the fwd direction.

Below is from a 1972 Australian Chrysler workshop manual.

It says: 'The usual cause of an open diode or blown rectifier is a battery that has been installed in reverse polarity.'

img317.jpg

Agree and Amen!

Auto Transport Service
Back