• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome plating bumpers

They are great guys, I have probably taken 25+ bumpers to them in the past 15-18 years, just for my personal cars. I have 5 sitting in the shipping boxes right now that are ready to be returned to cars, or extras. I try to keep extra 66-67 B body stuff around so there is no wait, even when it's only 4-6 weeks.
I’m 70 so if they last 10 years I’ll be real happy. Might just ride down to have a nice weekend trip.

I’m 70 so if they last 10 years I’ll be real happy. Might just ride down to have a nice weekend trip.
Be sure and check their hours in planning a trip down there.

Paul’s is at least $1,000 per bumper.
Also used M&P in Jeanette Pa., they were $550 per bumper.
Both looked good, when side by side Paul’s looked better. (They use different types of chrome plating). Is it worth the extra money?, that’s up to you. Just a couple of options.
My opinion...
There is only one type of Chrome used in plating. The other types of chrome are: chrome 2 and chrome 6, or hexalent chrome which is extremely toxic. The process usually begins with an electrolytic caustic soda bath that uses electricity to etch or clean the piece to be plated. Then the piece is rinsed to clean the caustic off. The piece is usually flash copper plated to prepare the surface to be flash nickel plated to insure a smooth blemish free surface. Some platers will polish the flash nickel plated surface area to insure a totally smooth surface and then chtome plate the part using either soluble chrome anodes or chrome solution as the chrome source and insoluble anodes and the chrome dolution and electricity to csuse the metallic chrome atoms to adhere to the piece, which is the cathode of the circuit . The actual chrome thickness is very thin...in the neighborhood of maybe 0.002". The time the piece is in the tank, the amount of current used will determine the total thickness of the plate. The piece is rinsed and polished to a shiny luster. These processes take time, labor and energy which will determine the final cost along with the various solutions that are used and their disposal costs, as they are quite toxic. Each platers' methods will vary which account for the cost differences. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

My opinion...
There is only one type of Chrome used in plating. The other types of chrome are: chrome 2 and chrome 6, or hexalent chrome which is extremely toxic. The process usually begins with an electrolytic caustic soda bath that uses electricity to etch or clean the piece to be plated. Then the piece is rinsed to clean the caustic off. The piece is usually flash copper plated to prepare the surface to be flash nickel plated to insure a smooth blemish free surface. Some platers will polish the flash nickel plated surface area to insure a totally smooth surface and then chtome plate the part using either soluble chrome anodes or chrome solution as the chrome source and insoluble anodes and the chrome dolution and electricity to csuse the metallic chrome atoms to adhere to the piece, which is the cathode of the circuit . The actual chrome thickness is very thin...in the neighborhood of maybe 0.002". The time the piece is in the tank, the amount of current used will determine the total thickness of the plate. The piece is rinsed and polished to a shiny luster. These processes take time, labor and energy which will determine the final cost along with the various solutions that are used and their disposal costs, as they are quite toxic. Each platers' methods will vary which account for the cost differences. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Im no scientist, just know what I was told. They specialize in a show chrome that has a better appearance but is not as durable. My understanding was a different chemical or metal makeup. If anyone want to know more, just call them, I’m sure they would be glad to answer any questions.

Again thanks for all replying. This will be a driver, no World of Wheels show car, garraged not driven in the snow or rain. So a factory look is all I want that’ll last me 10 years. A couple of items I will have to send to Paul’s since he does pot metal.

Last year, some company had a 50% off special on for Christmas on amd stuff, including bumpers. A pair of bumpers from amd would be fine for my runner. Does anybody out there remember who that was, or know if they are doing it again? By the time I found out about the sale last year, they were sold out.

Try City did mine 15-20 years ago, front had a decent size dent. Did a great job!
ZDZMgsHbyXYJUT0oabd69oC_posuqozceU3uYi6htVAqQxxTEhLb6BJ3iDZxFq4Cl6mHdEuWvNt9VApDQ=w1514-h1009-no.jpg

pTIajNEDB31crwQdiv3FP9J1Gwxe0cJQhDRBS0ALWnCnwYmaPMSZmAPsKmie5L_1yBK3AXptAqWQYYQ0A=w1514-h1009-no.jpg

D9RCPVLjcNZdje5n7

the guy I was going to use closed up last month. Where in the Carolinas, VA, Penn area can I go now to get Bumpers and parts chromed?
Check out Hanlon, Custom Chrome, or Colonial. All chrome platers and all in Richmond VA. Hope this helps.

Check out Hanlon, Custom Chrome, or Colonial. All chrome platers and all in Richmond, VA. Hope this helps.

Check out Hanlon, Custom Chrome, or Colonial. All chrome platers and all in Richmond, VA. Hope this helps.
Hanlon closed up in September, got addresses for the others?
Just checked, all gone

Last edited:
When I used to live in Western Pa, at a lot of the local swap meets and Mopars at Carlisle, there was a company that always had a display. They were called "The Bumper Boyz" Never used them but they did custom plating plus sold popular items.....Chevy etc. Not sure they are still in business. Google the name. Just a thought.
BOB RENTON

Hanlon closed up in September, got addresses for the others?
Just checked, all gone
Sorry, no addresses. Those names came from hits that I got when I Googled Virginia Chrome Platers. I assume you have checked the state that you live in and also assume that you would rather drop them off and pick them up since the shipping would kill you. There IS a restoration shop close to me.....White Post Restorations, White Post, VA. These folks do high dollar restos.....Jay Leno is a regular customer if that tells you anything. Anyway, they are really friendly people. Why not give them a call....see if they can refer you?

Sorry, no addresses. Those names came from hits that I got when I Googled Virginia Chrome Platers. I assume you have checked the state that you live in and also assume that you would rather drop them off and pick them up since the shipping would kill you. There IS a restoration shop close to me.....White Post Restorations, White Post, VA. These folks do high dollar restos.....Jay Leno is a regular customer if that tells you anything. Anyway, they are really friendly people. Why not give them a call....see if they can refer you?
I live in Va and the guys you mentioned are all closed. I’ll check into the white post place

I live in Va and the guys you mentioned are all closed. I’ll check into the white post place
Hopefully they can recommend some place reasonable. I know they do superior work, but they get paid well for it. They gave me a quote on rebuilding a master cylinder. I bought a NOS one and had money left over.

Tri Cities did mine also, they straightened the rear bumper and knocked out dents, great work plus they engraved my last name on the backside of both bumpers

I had Tri City do a bumper for me and I was very pleased with their work & price. The turn around time was pretty quick too.

When I used to live in Western Pa, at a lot of the local swap meets and Mopars at Carlisle, there was a company that always had a display. They were called "The Bumper Boyz" Never used them but they did custom plating plus sold popular items.....Chevy etc. Not sure they are still in business. Google the name. Just a thought.
BOB RENTON
I believe Bumper Boyz is located in the LA area. Always at the shows. Don’t have a good rep from what I understand.

I believe Bumper Boyz is located in the LA area. Always at the shows. Don’t have a good rep from what I understand.

Bumper Boyz are marginal at best... In the past their saving grace was they were cheap... But that's no longer the case...

I have a brand F project that I sent the bumpers back to Tri-City, when they arrived at the shop I got a call asking about what I wanted & what I was working on.... Why would they want to know what I'm working on? Well as it turns out my car had the wrong front bumper on it.... Kinda like a Dart bumper on a Duster but different... They swapped out the wrong bumper at no charge, they triple plated both bumpers & got them shipped back to me in six weeks... The price was very fair & the quality is better than I've seen from any of the local shops back when we had local shops...

Auto Transport Service
Back