• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrysler Historical Society - Decoding of my 67 GTX

67GTX440

Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
I just got back information from the ChryslerCenter front seat and Historical Society for the $40 I sent them for build research on my 67 GTX. They sent the original build punch card that is mostly unreadable and what they determined to be the option decoding. It looks pretty accurate with the exception of the following:

Car is shown as PBX trim - Black Vinyl - Bucket Seats. This is correct.
It also shows Tachometer 7 Yes. This is correct.
They also show Seats 5 - Center front seat and center armrest. This does not appear to be correct as the car is a torqueflight with a console.

My question is this. Since the car had a factory tachometer (still does) and the only place to put it to my knowledge was on the front of the console, I am thinking the center seat and armrest has to be incorrect. Did actually they make a floorshift torqueflight without a console? Did they ever make a tachometer car without a console? Did they ever make a torqueflight car without a console at all (column shift?).

They also show Accessory Group 36: 5 = Code N/A for this car. Does anyone know what this code represents?

I think Chrysler Historical Society has to be mistaken on the decoding as the car having a center front seat with armrest. Also if anyone else had gotten a 67 punchcard where the punchcard information is readable. I can make out the marks on the card specific to my car, but the information on the card itself before punching is about 80% washed out and unreadable in the microfilm copy they sent.

Thanks!

Don

My question is this. Since the car had a factory tachometer (still does) and the only place to put it to my knowledge was on the front of the console, I am thinking the center seat and armrest has to be incorrect. Did actually they make a floorshift torqueflight without a console? Did they ever make a tachometer car without a console? Did they ever make a torqueflight car without a console at all (column shift?).

They also show Accessory Group 36: 5 = Code N/A for this car. Does anyone know what this code represents?

I think Chrysler Historical Society has to be mistaken on the decoding as the car having a center front seat with armrest. Also if anyone else had gotten a 67 punchcard where the punchcard information is readable. I can make out the marks on the card specific to my car, but the information on the card itself before punching is about 80% washed out and unreadable in the microfilm copy they sent.

Thanks!

Don

No...you could not get an automatic on the floor without a console.
Yes, you could get a column automatic.
The tach came on the console.

Your punch card is absolutely correct.

1967_Joe should be able to add some insight into the questions. ;)

Let's see if he responds.

I can help with the rest of the punch card if you want to send me a copy.

Last edited:
What is the process to contact the Chrysler Historical Society for this information.

The GTX came with bucket seats and a TorqueFlite automatic transmssion that used a column or floor shifter. A four-speed manual was optional. I Have more info, will look it up....

Attachments

• 1967-plymouth-belvedere-gtx-3.jpg
    1967-plymouth-belvedere-gtx-3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 425
  • gtx-022.jpg
    gtx-022.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 460
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 441
I just got back information from the ChryslerCenter front seat and Historical Society for the $40 I sent them for build research on my 67 GTX. They sent the original build punch card that is mostly unreadable and what they determined to be the option decoding. It looks pretty accurate with the exception of the following:

Car is shown as PBX trim - Black Vinyl - Bucket Seats. This is correct.
It also shows Tachometer 7 Yes. This is correct.
They also show Seats 5 - Center front seat and center armrest. This does not appear to be correct as the car is a torqueflight with a console.

Thanks!

Don

Don
The punch card for my 67 GTX is also unreadable. I have the original broadcast sheet though that verifies my options. I called Chrysler Historical and the woman told me that was the copy of the punch card and not just a bad copy. Apparently the cards for 67 B bodies or maybe just GTX are that bad. Good luck.

Rob

Second pic is just like my car. It actually may be a picture I posted here of my car. The build sheet was decoded as center seat between the buckets with a fold down arm rest. I am saying that was not a possibility with a tach as the tachs were all console mounted.

- - - Updated - - -

I found a guy on Yahoo 66-67 Charger Forum who has recreated the punch card and has all 80 lines of data. He supposedly recreates these card on proper card stock and has even bought an old card punch to punch the correct holes. He was providing two reproduction punch cards from the historical society data (readable and all) and a decode letter fro $25. I will post his info if he replies to me.

- - - Updated - - -

You send them a check for $45 with proof of ownership and the VIN. They send you a microfilm, pretty unreadable build card, and a decode of what options the car had when built to the best of their knowledge. From my experience, it is not an exact science. It is done by historical society volunteers and my take 6-8 weeks.

Chrysler Historical Society
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

I got mine in about three weeks.

Second pic is just like my car. It actually may be a picture I posted here of my car. The build sheet was decoded as center seat between the buckets with a fold down arm rest. I am saying that was not a possibility with a tach as the tachs were all console mounted.

- - - Updated - - -

I found a guy on Yahoo 66-67 Charger Forum who has recreated the punch card and has all 80 lines of data. He supposedly recreates these card on proper card stock and has even bought an old card punch to punch the correct holes. He was providing two reproduction punch cards from the historical society data (readable and all) and a decode letter fro $25. I will post his info if he replies to me.

- - - Updated - - -

You send them a check for $45 with proof of ownership and the VIN. They send you a microfilm, pretty unreadable build card, and a decode of what options the car had when built to the best of their knowledge. From my experience, it is not an exact science. It is done by historical society volunteers and my take 6-8 weeks.

Chrysler Historical Society
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

I got mine in about three weeks.
Sooo did you hear back from the $25.00 guy ?

Auto Transport Service
Back