• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear coat later ?

Aarons Air

Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
I hired a body & paint guy to work on my car this past summer, at my home. By the time he got to the painting stage, the weather was turning colder. He was using base coat clear coat. And got the base on. And one coat of clear. By that time the temps dropped too low to finish the work. And we decided to postpone the completion till spring .
Recently i was at my paint distributors shop. And mentioned to them about the car having 1 coat of clear & waiting to finish. They warned me of a possible mistake/ problem. They said, with it having only 1 coat of clear, spraying more later may cause the underlying layers of paint & clear to wrinkle up when the new coat ( bights) in. And that i may have to strip it again. And to avoid this i should try spraying a light tac coat first. As opposed to spraying the clear wet or heavy.
Anyone with experience in this that could offer some insight would be greatly appreciated.

where do you find these guys? weren't you the one who had a major mess last time?..........

sand the clear you have on there with 600 and paint over it......... if you break through the clear, that is a new set of problems........

Lol. I know! I've had crappy luck with painters. But this guy has 45 years of experience. And has even done work for a local Packard museum. He got all the body straight as can be. And the work he did looked great. But after talking with my paint shop, i had concern. Thanks.

Wet sand the car with 600 and then act as if you were starting over as far as clear goes. You'll sand alot of that coat of clear off in the process so best to just apply a good 3 coats on it and it'll be ready to go!

Hopefully the base isn't metallic and you sand through the one coat of clear, scuffing the base.

Wet sand the car with 600 and then act as if you were starting over as far as clear goes. You'll sand alot of that coat of clear off in the process so best to just apply a good 3 coats on it and it'll be ready to go!
So i take it- you don't think wrinkling will be a concern then ? Thanks.

Shouldn't be. As long as you sand the clear that's on the car now and give it something to bite into, it should be fine. Like the other guys state above, be very careful on how much you sand and only do as much as needed so you don't burn through the clear and hit the base. How flat is the clear on the car now? Does it have alot of peel to it or is it flat? The flatter it is, the easier it will be to scuff and get ready for the new clear.

I would let your painter worry about it. If there becomes a problem, let him deal with it.

What he said!!!^^^ If he started this mess and stands behind it, he should be able to handle the situation.....especially with 45 years experience.

I'm by know means a pro or even close to it but typically it's all done at once? When I'm ready for paint it gets 3 coats of base and a minimum of 3 coats of clear all in the same few hours so I don't understand the whole finish later or weather turning cold thing?? Maybe somebody will educate me on why you would do that?

Shouldn't be. As long as you sand the clear that's on the car now and give it something to bite into, it should be fine. Like the other guys state above, be very careful on how much you sand and only do as much as needed so you don't burn through the clear and hit the base. How flat is the clear on the car now? Does it have alot of peel to it or is it flat? The flatter it is, the easier it will be to scuff and get ready for the new clear.
The roof and deck lid are very flat. Slight orange peel on quarters.

Have you asked the painter that did the work?

actually....... sanding the clear after curing and re-clearing can result in an even nicer job; the downside is, more time, more materials, and chance of a mishap that didn't occur the first time around..........

dude should have put a second coat on it, and it may have been done

actually....... sanding the clear after curing and re-clearing can result in an even nicer job; the downside is, more time, more materials, and chance of a mishap that didn't occur the first time around..........

dude should have put a second coat on it, and it may have been done
I agree. And wish he would have. If so i could be moving on to other things.

you sure he only went around the car once? if it's not "dry" looking, there may be enough on there to sand and buff

what kind of clear did he use?

it was "catalyzed", right?

I'm by know means a pro or even close to it but typically it's all done at once? When I'm ready for paint it gets 3 coats of base and a minimum of 3 coats of clear all in the same few hours so I don't understand the whole finish later or weather turning cold thing?? Maybe somebody will educate me on why you would do that?
Its the result of all round poor planning on both our parts. We only had enough clear for one coat, at the time he applied it. And it was an effort to ( seal ) it for the winter.

you sure he only went around the car once? if it's not "dry" looking, there may be enough on there to sand and buff

what kind of clear did he use?

it was "catalyzed", right?
Yes, only once around. No its not hazy at all. It was Sherwin Williams top shelf.

Auto Transport Service
Back