• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comparison of MSD to points for the street.

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
Most forums have an electronic ignition vs points argument regularly so this is probably starting another one. I have 4 old cars, 3 with dual points and an old Vette with reproduction Transistor Ignition in it. I’ve been towed home 4 times in my life in daily and vintage cars, 3 for electronic ignition failures and once for another issue. Never been stranded by points. I haven’t been on a track in 50 years so just a street cruiser and basically a points guy. I got the photos and idea from a member on Corvette Forums.

So you're out in the evening at your local cruise night and ready to pack it in and head home or you’re on your way home from a car show in a neighboring city. Which would you count on to get you home without issue?

This:

IMG_0904.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg

Or this:

IMG_0906.jpeg

The more I run these old cars with the newer chinese parts on them, the more I tend to agree with this. The key is finding good old NORS kits for points and stashing them. The newer ones aren't as good there either. I have been buying NOS and NORS electronic ignition boxes which seem to be way better than the newer junk as well.

In today's world its a toss up. Lots of parts stores don't even have points and condensers. The KISS theory applies. So I would take the old school.

In years past, I ran both points ignition systems, and electronic after they became available. I always kept them the way they came from the factory, and never had any reliability issues. Have never used reproduction parts in either system. All the horror stories I hear these days with both systems seem to involve the replacement junk currently on the market. I've always been willing to pay for NOS.

Neither... I prefer Pertronix. Replaces the points with a simple magnetic trigger. Basically bulletproof. Too hard to find quality condensers and points, plus there is the periodic wear, plus corrosion gets a vote.

Points rule! I’ve gone back to them in everything. So easy and simple. Never been stranded with points.

I had cars quit 3 different times with Chrysler electronic ignition. Always a different car. This was with parts form the 80’s so none of this newer junk. So I went back to points. Minimal maintenance and they just keep running.

With all these different systems for sale today. What do you do when it does break down on the roadand you need parts? You away from home, nobody to call for a ride. You better have parts in the trunk because auto zone won’t have it. You couldn’t pay me to run any of that stuff.

Been told to use your old condenser and don’t trust a newly made one. Or get and old stock condenser out of the box.

Worst situation for a breakdown was 1-5 just into Washington from Portland, Oregon. Sunday afternoon in the summer. Anybody who has been there at that time knows the traffic. Was at a mopar show there so driving a nice show car type mopar. To make it worse there was construction and all the lanes were shifted over and solid lines and the sign saying ”do not change lanes”. Car acted like it ram out of gas, slowly sputtered and dies, didn’t just shut off. I hit the signal and folks let me over to the side. Had accelerator pump shot so I figured no spark. Swapped in a points distributor from the trunk and it fired right up. I always bring some spares on a road trip, usually never needed, but great to have when you do.

Last edited:
extra condenser in the glove box, and you'll never be stranded.... electronic works great, until it doesn't

My car has only ever had points since it was new and never failed with simple maintenance, so I can only go by past experience.

My car has only ever had points since it was new and never failed with simple maintenance, so I can only go by past experience.
I ran my '66 Imperial 60,000 miles with the original points ignition, and never had an issue. It had a fresh set of NOS points when I bought it, replaced them twice with NOS. I replaced the points in the '62 I owned prior with a Direct Connection electronic ignition conversion kit when I bought the car, and ran that one 90,000 miles with no problems. I thought I might get better fuel mileage with the electronic, and didn't, so I stayed with points in the '66.

Last edited:
Most forums have an electronic ignition vs points argument regularly so this is probably starting another one. I have 4 old cars, 3 with dual points and an old Vette with reproduction Transistor Ignition in it. I’ve been towed home 4 times in my life in daily and vintage cars, 3 for electronic ignition failures and once for another issue. Never been stranded by points. I haven’t been on a track in 50 years so just a street cruiser and basically a points guy. I got the photos and idea from a member on Corvette Forums.

So you're out in the evening at your local cruise night and ready to pack it in and head home or you’re on your way home from a car show in a neighboring city. Which would you count on to get you home without issue?

This:

View attachment 1470077View attachment 1470078

Or this:

View attachment 1470079
The answer is ELEGANTLY SIMPLE......points.......there is an old Chinese Proverb....."Fancy GIZMOS don't work...and if they do work, they will stop working at the most inopportune time, resulting in towing costs and or being stranded along side of the road"......the old Prestolite dual point distributor in the GTX, 440+6, slightly modified, the RS23VOA******, starts reliably (hot or cold), delivers great (IMO) performance, can go to 6500 RPM, without missing a beat.....but I'm more interested in origional appearance and function, I don't race, or intend to race the car.....willing to give up the "BLAZING HORSEPOWER INCREASE" yielded (or advertised) by the electronic ignition system users.......
BOB RENTON

Neither... I prefer Pertronix. Replaces the points with a simple magnetic trigger. Basically bulletproof. Too hard to find quality condensers and points, plus there is the periodic wear, plus corrosion gets a vote.
Don't think for one minute that a Pertronix does not fail.

Just depends on what I need.

My 59 Cadillac, points. My 69 Charger, coil on plug.

:)

It’s not an either one or another thing, I still have points but they trigger a 6AL…

This:

View attachment 1470077View attachment 1470078

Or this:

View attachment 1470079

Exactly my opinion. :)
I'm happy to see people on here think the same way.
Here in germany people always seem to push/prefer the "pointless conversion" because of being "maintenance free". Yeah nice but it's not as reliable, simple and if you're converting also not original.

I remember seeing an uncle tony video where he said the dual point systems are even better at REALLY high rpms than the most fancy modern electronic systems.

Same for carburetors. I love carburetors and hate fuel injection.
I don't care if its not as efficient. Its simpler and to again quote uncle tony you can make more power with a high end carb setup.

Exactly my opinion. :)
I'm happy to see people on here think the same way.
Here in germany people always seem to push/prefer the "pointless conversion" because of being "maintenance free". Yeah nice but it's not as reliable, simple and if you're converting also not original.

I remember seeing an uncle tony video where he said the dual point systems are even better at REALLY high rpms than the most fancy modern electronic systems.

Same for carburetors. I love carburetors and hate fuel injection.
I don't care if its not as efficient. Its simpler and to again quote uncle tony you can make more power with a high end carb setup.
Good old "Uncle Tony"....always has a comment, often unsubstantiated, or it's based on the "seat of the pants research".....I'm just dubious or skeptical about his exposes.........
BOB RENTON

I prefer electronic but to keep a point’s distributor in the trunk. Wrap it in bubble wrap, toss it all the way by the back seat and forget about it. If electronic fails, simply pop cap and set aside, pull electronic dist., install points dist., connect wire to - coil, and off you go. 3 minutes and back on the road.

I prefer electronic but to keep a point’s distributor in the trunk. Wrap it in bubble wrap, toss it all the way by the back seat and forget about it. If electronic fails, simply pop cap and set aside, pull electronic dist., install points dist., connect wire to - coil, and off you go. 3 minutes and back on the road.
Ideally.....but how about in a pouring down rain storm.....pulling distributor, moving plug wires from cap to cap (assuming caps are identical) trying to reset timing to get running again......not an ideal scenario......but...to each his own volition......
BOB RENTON

Both. I run MSD 6AL's but trigger them with points. In the event that the MSD fails, although mine never have, move a couple of connectors and you are driving home on the points instead of the hook. The points last longer as well because they are not carrying the full current of the coil saturation. I run this setup on my inboard marine engine as well (PCM 351).

You have to weigh up the pros & cons....& then decide which apply for YOU:
- points are simple. Bur start wearing from day one, reducing power & economy.
- using points to trigger a MSD box. Ridiculous because of the above points problem. Use a dist with a mag p/up to trigger the MSD; the mag pick up is extremely reliable, just wire wrapped around a pole piece; no moving parts.
- plug gaps are limited with points, whereas with HEI & MSD you can increase gaps.
- points are rpm limited because of fixed dwell & points bounce.
- HEI is the best all round ign in my opinion. You can carry a spare module in the glove box. It is simple to hook up.

Auto Transport Service
Back