• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comparison of MSD to points for the street.

Most of our classics don't seem to get alot of miles on them, so points seem to last longer.
Back in the late 1970's early '80's when I started driving, I had points issues a few times, and converted to electronic ignition.
The Old Direct Connection Conversion kits were like $60 and I did not have any issues with them until the 1990's?
I think the Mopar conversion kits were maybe sourced from a different manufacturer? Either way, the quality was not good on the newer kits and the price of the kits went from around $90-$100 to $200+ around the same time.
I think around mid 1990's to 2000 I avoided the Mopar stuff and used Mallory Unilite, Accel BilletProof, and MSD distributors. I didn't run these direct to the coil, but to trigger CD ignition boxes like the MSD6AL (analog box), and Crane HI-6
The ignition setups seemed pretty reliable, but I did have to replace the unilite module after about 20 years.

You do have to follow a couple common sense steps with points. Installing new ones without lubricating the rubbing block is a good way to see them lose their gap in very few miles. And doing a bit of research to make sure the coil and ballast resister are compatible is a good step to maximize point contact life. And some replacement condensers today are crap so a spare is always a good idea.

I still prefer a good old analog MSD 6AL. Choose the right coil and proper wiring with a good Denso alternator and they operate perfectly.
Of course I know it will fail sometime but then again I have a spare ready to plug in.

Gus

I don't think either is inherently more reliable than the other. With electronic ignition the ecu goes out. With points the condenser usually goes bad. In either case carrying $50 in spare parts is necessary.

I'm happy to see people on here think the same way.

I thought I was one of a few that ran points. Mallory dual point as a matter of fact. Love it, no problems except trying to find a reliable condenser. The Mallory takes one with a long pig tail. The Mallory ones are real junk and won't last long. Found an Echlin one that fits the bill and has been going strong for several years.

You can go to an electronics store & buy a 0.22-0.25 mfd, 400 volt condenser & use that...

Auto Transport Service
Back