• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Computer upgrade

chtampa

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
I have two computers, and "old" and a "newer".

Old one had Vista and I bought a Windows 7 upgrade and then did a Retail Windows 10 Upgrade. Now everything works.

The newer is more modern and I want to move Windows 10, all my apps, settings and configurations to it, all in one big swap. Information is a bit conflicting, but it seems that I must "Clone" the old computer and copy it onto the new drive. The hardware will be different and it may not boot.

Has anyone done this?

If you can get a large flash drive (128gb or more)
than you can just drag all the .EXE program files (only the ones YOU downloaded, NOT ones that came on the computer from the factory) by dragging their program folders, not the shortcuts on your desktop over to the flash drive. Also copy all downloads and personal files to the drive.

Once you have all of that copied to the drive, insert it into the new pc and copy everything from the drive to your This PC folder on your new PC. you should have everything on your new pc, but you will still need to set up those programs and their settings.

If you can get a large flash drive (128gb or more)
than you can just drag all the .EXE program files (only the ones YOU downloaded, NOT ones that came on the computer from the factory) by dragging their program folders, not the shortcuts on your desktop over to the flash drive. Also copy all downloads and personal files to the drive.

Once you have all of that copied to the drive, insert it into the new pc and copy everything from the drive to your This PC folder on your new PC. you should have everything on your new pc, but you will still need to set up those programs and their settings.
I am wanting to skip all the setup and configuring. I do have a wallet drive though.

Friend says to look up "windows 10 migration." He says it should be able to move all settings, data and configurations on the newer machine. I'm guessing you would connect the two machines via an ethernet cable and then do an install on the new machine using windows 10 migration. I'm not 100% sure on what the steps are because I was asking him while he was flying an R/C drone and he was distracted...

I don't know of anything that will copy installed programs from one PC to another.
(unless you're cloning from one identical PC to another with the same O/S)

Too may variables on what gets done during the install process from one HW platform and/or windows version to another.

The exception is "simple" programs that only have an executable file, and those can by copied as described above.

Anything that uncompresses HW based support files or modifies the registry can't be done like that.

Must reinstall using original media, or at the least correctly versioned downloaded media for the license files or keys you have.

The absolute worst to migrate is anything licensed by adobe.

The way to do what you are asking is to "virtualize" your old computer and run the whole image under a program like VMWare.
Essentially you run a program that can simulate a computer within almost any hardware configuration.
A computer within a computer like a dream within a dream (if you ever saw that awful movie).
It requires some horsepower and diskspace in the base machine and a licensed copy of the Virtual Machine software.
You would still likely need someone with some comuter knowledge to help you get that going.

VM's still need pass through drivers that work with the host's hardware.

This is configured when you build the host.

You can't simply copy a VM from one host to another.

Even if it's identical hardware, there are likely different chipset revisions and different identifiers generated during install.

Last edited:
...and no you actually don't need a licensed copy of VMWare 5.x.

...but all that trouble and time, and you still can't do what the OP wants.

Best to just repurchase any SW that he's lost the installable media for.

Saved files and settings can be copied, but apps/SW usually must be reinstalled.

The first thing I ask before I upgrade or replace any user's computer or O/S is "do have legal copies of all software that's been installed?"

...and I can easily say "Tough, it's gone. Deal with it", because I'm the IT department.

However, it isn't worth the whining and bitching from the user.
It's better for them to know that they can't have a particular SW title because they either lost it or obtained it illegally, and for them to go through the motions of trying to locate it, rather than deal with the finger pointing and aforementioned whining after the fact.

My standard line is a little friendlier, but basically- "I will not touch your machine until you can produce or repurchase any installed software (and any licenses necessary), or agree that it will not be reinstalled".

Hell, sometimes even if the SW is legal and available it simply won't work going between windows versions.

Last edited:
You can't simply copy a VM from one host to another.
We do this all the time?
I have over a dozen on my machine right now and I can copy them to an external drive and give it to someone.

We do this all the time?
I have over a dozen on my machine right now and I can copy them to an external drive and give it to someone.

OK, maybe a client OS.

Still, the work involved with that is not something I would recommend for someone that doesn't want to be bothered with reinstalling a few applications.

Yes but occassionally you run into old apps that are not compatible with newer Operating Systems.

I was told that W10 has an option to move the entire drive to the Cloud and then bring it back to the second computer.

I was told that W10 has an option to move the entire drive to the Cloud and then bring it back to the second computer.
i am not a guru but,
it depends on how much cloud space you need i think << ?
plus all you want is your personal files,
you dont need the entire OS because you have an OS on the new pc.
Os = operating system/win10

you can do this 2 ways.
the usb flashdrive mentioned already.
or
simply take your hard drive out of the old pc,and use a cable to hook it into a usb port on new pc.
you can get these cables everywhere,it powers the hd and transfers the data.
now go into computer find Drives and open the old one and select your Personal files and simply transfer them to your new hard drive/destination/folder.

oh,edit,make sure that you plug the HD into a Highspeed usb port.
i think the new pc-s they are all Blue around opening of port.

obviously,i use the latter method.
my newest pc has 5 hard drives in it,4 are from old pc-s.
you can also use the hd in your new pc as it is,IF you have room for extra hd-s.
just make sure its not plugged into the primary port/number 1 sata.

Last edited:
OP wants to transfer installed apps from old PC to New with different OS versions and HW.

I don't think it's gonna happen.

27 years IT second level support and network design.

OP wants to transfer installed apps from old PC to New with different OS versions and HW.

I don't think it's gonna happen.

27 years IT second level support and network design.
whats the worst that can happen?
hed need to update the drivers?

plus when he signs in on new pc it will ask him if he wants to transfer his passwords and other items wont it?

You are missing the point.

Installed applications.

You are missing the point.

Installed applications.
yes,im assuming? he would have to reinstall those off the net?
but his browser should ask him to update/bring his passwords,bookmarks and so forth to the new pc,yes? no ?

also,im confused now.
i reread the ops post 4 times,and it looks like he has win10 and is going to a new pc with win10 ??
so the hardware/software for the vista pc is the problem?
even tho hes going to another win10 machine?

Last edited:
I have had an IT person tell me to clone the drive, move it and then on power up Windows will reconfigure the hardware.

I have had an IT person tell me to clone the drive, move it and then on power up Windows will reconfigure the hardware.
Its possible it would work but more possible it will just bluescreen and loop. Windows 10 is however better the earlier Windows's OS's. If it does work the system could be unstable. Safest bet is copy your files over to the new computer and reinstall the programs you need as YY1 stated.

Auto Transport Service
Back