• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Console tach questions

SREDMONDS51

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
I have found a console tach but I have questions. The pic is the one I have. This is the three wire version so from what I have read it is from a 64-66. So this one needs a sender right? I don't have the sender or the mounting spacer that goes on the bottom. What are my options to make this work on my 67 coronet? I would appreciate some help. I really want to use this on my car.

20230420_204519.jpg

I have found a console tach but I have questions. The pic is the one I have. This is the three wire version so from what I have read it is from a 64-66. So this one needs a sender right? I don't have the sender or the mounting spacer that goes on the bottom. What are my options to make this work on my 67 coronet? I would appreciate some help. I really want to use this on my car.

View attachment 1453394
Contact Tommy White, partshound.net

My guess on the three wires:
- one goes to the coil [-] terminal to pick up the rpm signal
- one is the 12v [+] switched ign supply
- one is for the internal lamp.

Case needs to be grounded to complete the cct.

You will need to find a sender unit as it contains the circuit board. That tach won’t have the sending circuitry in it as you have discovered. The board basically just fits in the can housing with a terminal board that allows all the wiring points in the circuit board to be soldered to and the various wire pickups from the car harness and tach to connect to with ring terminals. With a new board and wiring diagram it wouldn’t be difficult to rig a sending unit up. The housing sould be made of almost anything. You might place a WTB ad a find a used one in someone’s part boxes out there.

I would contact someone who sells the new tach boards (type depends on if running points or electronic ignition) and they should be able to help you with a wiring schematic. If that fails I can dig through my notes and come up with one. RTE is one popular place who sells new boards.

MOPAR Products

On the underside for mounting you basically need an appropriate nut and washer and the find a good short, stiff spring that will fit over the threaded shaft and it will be compressed by the nut and washer to where the tach can be moved between positions and detects with a little effort. There is also a nylon glide plate that screws to the top surface of the console and provides the detent action.

Last edited:
You will need to find a sender unit as it contains the circuit board. That tach won’t have the sending circuitry in it as you have discovered. The board basically just fits in the can housing with a terminal board that allows all the wiring points in the circuit board to be soldered to and the various wire pickups from the car harness and tach to connect to with ring terminals. With a new board and wiring diagram it wouldn’t be difficult to rig a sending unit up. The housing sould be made of almost anything. You might place a WTB ad a find a used one in someone’s part boxes out there.

I would contact someone who sells the new tach boards (type depends on if running points or electronic ignition) and they should be able to help you with a wiring schematic. If that fails I can dig through my notes and come up with one. RTE is one popular place who sells new boards.

MOPAR Products

On the underside for mounting you basically need an appropriate nut and washer and the find a good short, stiff spring that will fit over the threaded shaft and it will be compressed by the nut and washer to where the tach can be moved between positions and detects with a little effort. There is also a nylon glide plate that screws to the top surface of the console and provides the detent action.
Thanks for the info. I know where I can get the upgrade circuit board but I need to find the old sender can. Seems that may be hard to find.

Thanks for the info. I know where I can get the upgrade circuit board but I need to find the old sender can. Seems that may be hard to find.
This guy will sell you a sender..........................for $500. :poke: :rofl: :rofl:

You could literally make a can out of an appropriate diameter tin can, sized for the board to barely fit inside of. Some tabs would need to be trimmed in with the cut for bolting the unit to the floor brace and to solder or screw the board to the can for securing and grounding. you could even cut a section of PVC pipe or something, put a strap across one end to mount a terminal strip to, etc. The board would need to be grounded to the floor brace.

66461E16-524C-4809-BA1A-D119725E1109.jpeg
68CEC8AF-CAF8-4B3B-B3A3-6B52FA5ACEF7.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back