• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cooling system

Ralph Cali

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Need some assistance.

I have a new engine broken in, new water pump, new thermostat 165 degree.

When i pull the radiator cap off when hot no pressure. No water movement after driving.

Pulled the thermostat off and still no movement - as the rpm increases (1500 - 2000 rpm the movement occurs.

Its 50 degrees today and after a ride the radiator and engine does not seem hot. I assume that a 522 stroker would create some serious heat.

Is the cap no good and not building any pressure ? What PSI cap should be used.

Could there be some air in the system ?

Any advice would be welcome

Ralph

I will pull it out and check it

Thanks ralph

Need some assistance.

I have a new engine broken in, new water pump, new thermostat 165 degree.

When i pull the radiator cap off when hot no pressure. No water movement after driving.

Pulled the thermostat off and still no movement - as the rpm increases (1500 - 2000 rpm the movement occurs.

Its 50 degrees today and after a ride the radiator and engine does not seem hot. I assume that a 522 stroker would create some serious heat.

Is the cap no good and not building any pressure ? What PSI cap should be used.

Could there be some air in the system ?

Any advice would be welcome

Ralph

Get it up to operating temp then feel the heater hoses and upper & lower radiator hoses. If the heater hoses are hot, the pump is circulating.
Radiator hoses temp, or lack of, will indicate a possible plug in the radiator.

how would i determine an air pocket ?

Thanks ralph

About the only thing you can do is get a radiator cap that has the red release lever on top and as the car warms up release it a little at a time with ONLY letting air out. Also if you take it to your local oil change facility most of them will have coolant flush system that will hook up to your radiator and the upper hose and forces coolant through the system and 9 times out of 10 it will eliminate the trapped air.

So far I have confirmed that the thermostat is good, the water pump is removed and looks solid from 440 source and pretty new. The radiator drains good when i pour liquid in the top and the hoses are off. Still with no thermostat at idle there seems to be no movement until I raise the RPM to about 1500 - 2000 and then there is movement.
Are there water pumps with different impeller directions for a 440 mopar ?
I will try the cap issue next.
Thanks much

Id like to know what housing your using ...and I really dont want to suggest anythings wrong but its possible theres a blockage somewhere--who did the assembly part

Theres only one direction the impeller will flow im sure...

I sure hope you dont have a 440 source housing- I heard theres a real problem with the flow in one model of their alum housings lower inlet- I got a mopar alum housing- 440 stroker here too

If you think you have air in the system try filling through heater hose fitting until it comes out the other one to fill the block

72 satellite 440, funny you should say that I noticed the water pump design did not look right so I looked up the Mopar performance water pump from Jegs and it looks different - 8 blades in a more aggressive design to accomaodate flow. So I ordered it and will try this first along with getting air out of the system.
If not I will removed the 440 source housing and go to the Mopar unit.
Thanks for everyone help.
Ralph

Cooling system fix

Thanks to everyone for helping me solve my cooling system problem.

The solution was to get a mopar performance 8 blade water pump which did the trick.

The previous one installed was a 440 source unit which look cut back for race applications - wrong application.

Thought I would share this photo with the group. The smooth circular one is from 440 source.

Ralph

73 RR waterpump Nov 12, 2010 003.jpg

That's funny, I have a 440 source pump (and housing) and my impeller looks like the MP unit in the pic above.

You never know what you are going to get with their stuff. They must source through whichever chinese factory is the cheapest at that moment so stuff varies.

The problem with their housing is that the inlet and outlet are severely undersized. Mine doens't have that problem but it's hard to say why they would do something so far off. Mine does have the temperature port drilled all cockeyed which looks funny but seems to work just fine.

I know a lot of people run their heads... not sure I could trust them.

Auto Transport Service
Back