• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct timing light for MSD ignition

Charger686970

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
What is the best and correct timing light to use with a MSD 6AL and pro billet dist.? I read not to use dial back timing lights and was wondering what other members running MSD igntions use. What is a good brand timing light to buy. Thanks

Not sure on the logic of not using a dial back light, that's all I use. I'm not running MSD right now but I have in the past

Not sure on the logic of not using a dial back light, that's all I use. I'm not running MSD right now but I have in the past
Stumbled on some other forums that say not to use dial back because the MSD will give them erratic readings and MSD recommends not to use them too. Some things I read say you can use a dial back and some say not to. Once site said if you use a dial back hook it to a battery that is not hooked up in the car with the MSD ignition. I see you can buy MSD timing lights but they are showing not shipping until September and i know there has to be other brands that will work, I figured some one on here will have a MSD set up and what light works the best. Thanks

Stumbled on some other forums that say not to use dial back because the MSD will give them erratic readings and MSD recommends not to use them too. Some things I read say you can use a dial back and some say not to. Once site said if you use a dial back hook it to a battery that is not hooked up in the car with the MSD ignition. I see you can buy MSD timing lights but they are showing not shipping until September and i know there has to be other brands that will work, I figured some one on here will have a MSD set up and what light works the best. Thanks
Hmmm, interesting

I was looking at older ones on ebay too. Not sure how i found myself on the timing light topic but found it interesting and since I am using MSD stuff I want to make sure it gets timed correctly. Read a lot of different forums last night, mopar, chevy, ford and buick all on the same topic of what to use for MSD ignitions and it was some guys say a dial back works with the same amount of people saying not to use them. Some things I read said no rhyme or reason to it but some dial backs work and some do not. I just want to make sure I use the right one. I think any old non dial back will work but to be safe I was leaning towards getting one of the two MSD lights, they are pricey though.

I was looking at older ones on ebay too. Not sure how i found myself on the timing light topic but found it interesting and since I am using MSD stuff I want to make sure it gets timed correctly. Read a lot of different forums last night, mopar, chevy, ford and buick all on the same topic of what to use for MSD ignitions and it was some guys say a dial back works with the same amount of people saying not to use them. Some things I read said no rhyme or reason to it but some dial backs work and some do not. I just want to make sure I use the right one. I think any old non dial back will work but to be safe I was leaning towards getting one of the two MSD lights, they are pricey though.
Timing light is a timing light bro. They all work the same way

I've run a MSD 6A for 30 yrs. and use an auto parts store timing light, either in-line with the plug OR clamp over plug wire #1. I accidentally bought a 2nd timing light several years ago when I couldn't find my first one..... I'd sell you my spare for $35 + shipping if you like, proven to work (by me) with MSD ignition.

Threewood, with the obvious difference between a standard vs a dial back light excluded, please educate me on what the difference is on how one light works compared to another. Not a smart response at all by the way, just curious why you believe they are different

Timing light is a timing light bro. They all work the same way

I have a multi spark ignition, same as MSD, and my Innova dial back will not work with it. Shows errttic spark with the timing mark jumping all over the place. Switch to my older Craftsman chrome light and it works like a charm, steady as a rock timing mark. They are not all created the same.

I have a multi spark ignition, same as MSD, and my Innova dial back will not work with it. Shows errttic spark with the timing mark jumping all over the place. Switch to my older Craftsman chrome light and it works like a charm, steady as a rock timing mark. They are not all created the same.
so you are referring to the difference on a standard vs dial back or are both your lights dial back?

so you are referring to the difference on a standard vs dial back or are both your lights dial back?
The older Craftsman is a fixed timing light. It works with both my cars. The Innova dial back works with my 62 (Pertronix II) but is erratic with my 69 (Pertronix III). So I stick with the Craftsman for timing. When I want to see all in I rev it up past 3k rpm as my balancer is marked out to 90 degrees.

You can look up specs on newer lights as many are listed as multi spark compatible. I'm sure most of the higher end lights will work but it's always good to double check.

The older Craftsman is a fixed timing light. It works with both my cars. The Innova dial back works with my 62 (Pertronix II) but is erratic with my 69 (Pertronix III). So I stick with the Craftsman for timing. When I want to see all in I rev it up past 3k rpm as my balancer is marked out to 90 degrees.
Gotcha, in my comment about they all work the same, I was referring to fixed vs fixed, not comparing a dial back to a fixed but that's still news to me that you can't use a dial back with a MS ignition

So to answer the original question, I would say check with the manufacturer of whatever light you are looking at to confirm it is compatible with a multi spark ignition

Gotcha, in my comment about they all work the same, I was referring to fixed vs fixed, not comparing a dial back to a fixed but that's still news to me that you can't use a dial back with a MS ignition

Gotcha. Both my non dial back lights work, including a newer chicom made plastic light so I would say you are correct.

Think of how "multi spark" systems work and why many timing light's can't pick up just the first spark. The older MAC (made by Actron), some of the Snap On's, and Craftsman lights work.

So as long as I get a fixed timing light I am good to go with the MSD ignition, is the any brand timing light that you would recommend? Thanks

Don't laugh guys, but I have an older harbor freight no name fixed light that works with the MSD. Every once in a great while, the light will be erratic, but not very often.
The cheap dial one does not work properly when car's at idle or lower RPMs. The dial seems to work when car is at higher RPMs most of the time.
I have an older 6al and new pro billet distributor.

Auto Transport Service
Back