• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct torque lbs for lugnuts

Nick ciavarino

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
With a torque wrench what would be the correct lugnut torque in lbs.I have mine at 110 lbs.Thanks Nick

1/2x20? 110 is way high....70-80 is plenty
Thanks for the info. I'm being xtra cautious a long time ago I had a 70 cuda i did lugs with torque wrench they came loose. Hope I didn't do any damage to these wheels.

All depends on the wheels, but 65 ft-lbs on a B body is spec. 110.. good luck with those studs and if you're running stock Rallye or Road wheels the mounting bores will be fawked..

I haven't used a torque wrench on lug nuts on any car I've owned. I just use a decent length extension bar (18") and tighten them by feel.

All depends on the wheels, but 65 ft-lbs on a B body is spec. 110.. good luck with those studs and if you're running stock Rallye or Road wheels the mounting bores will be fawked..
And don't forget on a new set of aluminum wheels to recheck that torque 1 or 2 more times after some miles!

As mentioned, on the majority of out old Mopar Cars with 1/2" studs, 70 lbs is plenty.
The Jensen Inteceptor is even less, 50 lbs, but the lug nuts are made of aluminum :eek:

As mentioned, on the majority of out old Mopar Cars with 1/2" studs, 70 lbs is plenty.
The Jensen Inteceptor is even less, 50 lbs, but the lug nuts are made of aluminum :eek:
Since I torqued them so high already is there any turning back at this point would or is it a lost cause.

Since I torqued them so high already is there any turning back at this point would or is it a lost cause.

If they are grade 8 or better, then you might be OK? The rating for grade 8 1/2" is 107 lbs.
Inspect then to see if they stretched (necked down) in diameter. If you can see that, then replace them.
If they are rusty or have thread damage, it is good time to replace those also.
When I buy an old Mopar, I usually figure I will have to replace all the wheel studs, lug nuts, and the fuel tank and fuel lines.
Those are the main items that seem to always create problems for me.

I have a gun identical to this...

download (23).jpg

And I squeeze the trigger until it stops. I have never had a broken stud or a stretched stud.
Never had one come loose either, which is a real disaster.

This info is in the factory service manual. Does anybody use one ?

Attachments

• MOPAR LUG NUT TORQUE.pdf
    460.4 KB · Views: 109
If they are grade 8 or better, then you might be OK? The rating for grade 8 1/2" is 107 lbs.
Inspect then to see if they stretched (necked down) in diameter. If you can see that, then replace them.
If they are rusty or have thread damage, it is good time to replace those also.
When I buy an old Mopar, I usually figure I will have to replace all the wheel studs, lug nuts, and the fuel tank and fuel lines.
Those are the main items that seem to always create problems for me.

Thanks for the info if the studs are ok can I torque them at a lesser poundage and be safe Thanks Nick.

Why on earth would you ever LOOSEN your lug nuts and think that's okay? You do know what happens when a wheel falls off?
I did not drive car after I torqued the wheels just thought since car was not driven and did not have any rotations I may be able to retorque wheels if I did no damage sorry for my stupidity and yes I know what happens when a wheel falls off Thanks Nick.

Auto Transport Service
Back