• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cowl Vent & Windshield Weep Holes/Drains

Rjvb3

Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Getting ready to delete my cowl vent and butt weld in some sheet metal on my 69 Coronet. I have a vintage air system that uses recirculated air only and if I need fresh air, I got the vent windows. The car will be a driver and will be seeing some rain. I don't really need a cowl vent to catch more water and debris and dump it in the fender area.

For those of you who have done this before, did you also fill in the 2 weep holes for windshield channel drainage? My only concern is water getting into the cowl area/fenders through the weep holes and not being able to dry out fully on account of a lack of the airflow from the closed up vent.

If I do weld up those 2 weep holes up, do you think water would pool in the lower windsheild channel and do more harm? I will have a few coats of epoxy though.

Just curious on everyones thoughts and wanted to see if anyone knew of any variables I was not considering before cutting anything. Thanks!

-Rick

PXL_20211210_040141231.jpg

If it were me, I would'nt do it at all unless the car is drag raced (safety item) or unless the car has to sit out in the weather at all times, which is unusual for a cherished classic. I think the airflow is beneficial to dry the cowl area n most cars that are now sheltered. The old days of daily duty throwing salt and leaves down those slots should be over for your vehicle.

The ball chiller is the best part about driving these cars. No way I would delete it. I just went into mine due to leaves coming in. I used a plumbing p trap on the end of the shop vac. Cleared the debris and flushed with water . Brand new. One shot of each side by sticking camera up in the hole.

7B494C74-1CCF-48F0-B334-0CDCABB131B7.jpeg 63ED4144-95F6-48B9-A60D-EEBEB67072CA.jpeg

I would not do this either but to your question, I would leave the weep holes open.

Leave the drain holes so that whatever gets by the wiper drives can get out.

There are drains in the windshield channel the empty inside the cowl. LOOK at your car. So filling the drain holes is not good. None of this suggested project is worthwhile IMO. Leave it alone.

Auto Transport Service
Back