• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craig's List scams

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
Craig's list has been swarmed with awesome deals on vehicles and Farm tractors.
Brand new looking stuff for stupid money.
Don't be one of the victims. Here is an example of their scam.

I am Ashley , nice to meet you! The 1969 Frolic Vintage Trailer never had or needed any paint/body work done, it was always garaged and without any mechanical problems. The tires and wheels are in great shape, electrically speaking, it's working perfectly. Plus a clear title, free of any liens or loans. Also there is no such thing as an accident history or any smoking in the interior.I am selling it for $1,00(last price) because my husband died 1 month ago (of a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories. That's the real reason I want to sell it, besides, I hope to find a new owner as dedicated as my departed soulmate was..I sold the house and with my kid moved to my sister in Omaha, NE to pick up the pieces, so to speak.I want to use Amazon's Service for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing the trailer just email me with your full name, P.o. Box or address including the zip code and phone number, so I can notify Amazon that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

PS: Below I attached you some photos.

Thanks for the heads up. I've never bought off of CL, but the wording and verbage sounds like so many other scams from foreign and domestic scammers.
Never give contact info for someone "who is with" (name of business) to contact you.

How does it get your money?
When you're stupid enough to send them the money
cash.gif

How does it get your money?
Most likely they want a deposit up front and the Amazon address is probably fake. The way the wording in the ad is a dead give away plus they want your personal info. 'Real' ads are not worded this way nor do they ask for your info.....especially a Craigslist ad. I'm no expert but have been dealing with stuff like this for 20 years or better. One more thing, when they say 'last price', that alone tells me it's going to be a scam. If I have the time, I'll take it to the next level but never give them my real name or phone number. So far, my batting average is 1000! And their price is too good to be true for one of those trailers in the shape they are saying it is in.

Ashley sounds educated, must not be an Nigerian ad.
Every now and then I'll run into someone that 'sounds' legit and educated until they start telling me how to send them money or if I'm selling something and they send me 3 or 4 times my selling price and then say the excess is for their shipping and shipping agent. They want you to deposit the check right away and then send the excess to the shipper. Yeah right. NEVER DO THAT but I wonder how many fall for it.

I needed a new work car. Found a Honda Accord on Craigslist for about half of what it was worth.

ME: Is there anything wrong with the car? I'd like to come and check it out. Where are you located?

SELLER: I am in the army and about to be deployed to the mid-East. I listed the car at such a low price in order to sell it quickly. Just wire the money to this account and the military will deliver it the car to you... free of charge. If you are not satisfied with it, they will come and pick the car up and your money will be refunded.

ME: Well, I'd like to see it first.

SELLER: The car is locked up in the Naval Yard Baltimore.

ME: GREAT, I will be in Baltimore this weekend. Can I see it then?

SELLER: Sorry, No. The car is in a Military storage facility that is off limits to civilians.

ME: Yeah, you are in the military, can't you drive your car off of the base for me to see?

The seller never responded...

The primary element of the scam is to harvest personal information, the secondary element is hopes of getting sucker money.

I don't even bother with cl when looking for a car anymore. There are so many scams - many just like the one above with the person in the military. Price and quality of appearing vehicle is just to good to be true. The ad is filled with personal stuff that's not really pertinent to the sale except to get you sucked in. CL is not for me. I'll do my gambling in the stock market.

I'm sure an "interior" is pretty rare in a 1969 tractor.

Craig's list has been swarmed with awesome deals on vehicles and Farm tractors.
Brand new looking stuff for stupid money.
Don't be one of the victims. Here is an example of their scam.

I am Ashley , nice to meet you! The 1969 Frolic Vintage Trailer never had or needed any paint/body work done, it was always garaged and without any mechanical problems. The tires and wheels are in great shape, electrically speaking, it's working perfectly. Plus a clear title, free of any liens or loans. Also there is no such thing as an accident history or any smoking in the interior.I am selling it for $1,00(last price) because my husband died 1 month ago (of a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories. That's the real reason I want to sell it, besides, I hope to find a new owner as dedicated as my departed soulmate was..I sold the house and with my kid moved to my sister in Omaha, NE to pick up the pieces, so to speak.I want to use Amazon's Service for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing the trailer just email me with your full name, P.o. Box or address including the zip code and phone number, so I can notify Amazon that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

PS: Below I attached you some photos.
I find myself reading this with a Russian (or rush-in) accent. '69...Frolic...Trailer...= Afternoon Delight.

On the pinbll forums occasionally there is a poor sole that gets taken in the scam of getting more money then asking price schemes. I feel sorry for them.

In case anyone is curious, this is an example of a 1969 Frolic Trailer:

resize.php?path=%2Fstatic%2Fbf207433-c61d-4791-9.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back