• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What have you broken while out hot rodding your car?

After modifying the 383 in my 67 Satellite that I bought new, I broke driveline components on a regular basis before replacing them with better parts. 3 Mopar clutches, busted u joints, twisted driveshaft, spread the yoke in the 8 3/4, and broke the 1st/2nd shift fork in a 23 spline 833. I have never damaged an engine, even running that 383 to 7000 rpms on shifts and going through the traps in the quarter at 7500-8000 rpms.
383s are really hard to break.

How about this?

View attachment 1629398

Ok, that wasn't me.

Not hot-rodding at the time, but I pulled away from a stoplight one night in my '70 GTX and discovered one of the lines for my air shocks had developed a hole. There I sat - on my L60s. I had to get a ride home, grab some skinny tires, and swap them out on Main St. Then I limped it home. How embarrassing.
Mancini Racing use to use that photo in advertising a few times
I had it saved & used here a few times too

cool shot, from the hay days

Had a 383 with indy heads 275@50 cam that went many many years and rounds , finally split a rod in the burn out box.. almost salvageable but I think the real reason it let go was an opposite wrist pin was sliding out against the cylinder. Pressed pins :rolleyes:

The next one( same L2293s stock crank rods block) but max ported 286s also went a looong time until the last run it completely dumped the front half of the reciprocating assembly at about 3/4 track. So the back half of the motor was still spinning 7000 and everything else on the motor was stopped. Blew the whole waterpump housing off the block. It was ugly.
That's the big ones, otherwise it was the usual 16 yr old smashing transmissions and differentials doing 5 grand neutral drops and whatnot.

Land speed record in a B-Body.....

1710712635657.jpeg

Uhhh, I'm well aware of what the term means.
Yes, the rod broke just above the big end. The piston came up and slammed into the head. rotated a few degrees and stayed at about 1/4" below TDC, bending the valves in cyl #2. The big end stayed on the crank journal. It went from 3800 rpms to BAM really quick. I was not in a safe place to leave the car and didn't have a number for a towing service. It still ran so I drove over to my mother's place tucked in a residential neighborhood.
846 miles on a fresh rebuild.

F8D8FA84-B785-4455-A3BC-1DE11147AF4A.jpeg

Remember these pistons? Reproduction six pack slugs.

2025820C-83DD-45D6-B869-13FDFBAB62B7.jpeg

6D4E99A8-1105-4CEE-B385-395ADBA5A224.jpeg

AC2EC68A-D665-4CAF-9682-4E419CC8D46F.jpeg

I hang it in the shop so my new engine can learn by example what can happen.

In the late 80s with this car I was on my way to work:

IMG_4686.JPG

....I tried to kick the tail out in a curve where the road was wet. I drifted too far to the right and hit a curb, bending the right rear wheel and axle housing. I couldn't be out of work long so I took the day off, borrowed a truck and went junkyarding for a replacement axle. The original axle was a 2.73 open, there were no 3.42 or 3.73 posi axles in the junkyards I went to. I settled for a 3.08 one legger just to get the car moving again. Hey, at least it was a slight step up in off the line pep.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back