• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist crazies...let's hear your stories...I'll start.

Wow Prop . . . you are brave . . . I will not even give them my address, I arrange to meet with them in the local shopping center parking lot ( lots of people around and well lit too ) as I have no reason for them to know where I live.

Be careful guys . . . I would like to keep you guys around and enjoy your tales for years to come ! ! !

Tales? Come on buddy, You know we absolutely tell the biggest fish story's around! id rather have them come to my place, a good crematory out back is kind of cool don't ya think! ohh that smell... I tend to carry the gun as we speak now, im getting to old to defend my damn self and need a helper, now note, i didn't say persuader i need a helper and my wife is trying but every dog-GONE times she shoots that buffalo gun she gets hurt and breaks the window!

Wow Prop . . . you are brave . . . I will not even give them my address, I arrange to meet with them in the local shopping center parking lot ( lots of people around and well lit too ) as I have no reason for them to know where I live.

Be careful guys . . . I would like to keep you guys around and enjoy your tales for years to come ! ! !

Thanks for your concern Kahn. For the most part, a good majority of the people around here are pretty decent folks. Kinda place where you can leave your car running outside the gas station, while getting your morning cup of Joe. Not a whole lotta crime. Think the frigid winter's keeps the riff raff out..lol Anyways, thanks for the concern...I'll keep my eye's peeled :icon_batman:

Prop i got a lot of respect for you not selling that thing to that guy knowing his kid was going to use it. Id done exactly the same thing

Thank you Steve.... From a financial aspect of it, I suppose a lot would call me a fool. But morally, there's right and there's wrong. Who the heck would want to see a 10 year old boy hurt or kill himself (and possibly others), just because the father is ignorant and/or has one of those "Biggest, Baddest" mentalities he's pushing off on his son. Been riding a long time, seen a lot of bad stuff happen on the trails, and it's usually from someone thinking with their ego and not their brain.....sad

Tales? Come on buddy, You know we absolutely tell the biggest fish story's around!

haha!!! sounds like your not new to FBBO, eh Ron?? lmao!

Prop i got a lot of respect for you not selling that thing to that guy knowing his kid was going to use it. Id done exactly the same thing

x1000!

Will is one of the most stand-up guys I know!! If it aint right, it aint Will.

Me n CL?? to buy, yes. to sell, hells naw. I hoard parts, it's what I do.

I walk up with a smile and CASH and start dickerin'. and of course, I always bring backup with me...

haha!!! sounds like your not new to FBBO, eh Ron?? lmao!

x1000!

Will is one of the most stand-up, karma-hoarding guys I know!!

Hey thanks Amigo! Have a giant digital beer picture on me (sorry, best I can do from here)

summershandy-bottle-pour.jpg

I list my 05 Hayabusa for sale awhile back. I made it clear that it wasn't a starter bike and only will sell it to an experienced rider.

Well of course I get a call from an 18 year old kid who one wanted to buy it if I would take payments. I laughed and said, but I'm not a bank or a loan office. When asked how long he been riding, he then said this would his first bike and was planning on taking lessons. I just told him to have a nice day.

Then another kid showed up at a meeting place so he could look at it. He had a few buddies with him. I made clear that if he wanted to test drive it, he would have give the money first, the keys to his vehicle, and show me his license and proof he had insurance. He had none of the above started to get hateful until I opened up my jacket made it clear that I was carrying.

Funny how it suddenly turned to, "yes sir", "I understand sir". Didn't mean to get you upset or anything.
Finally gave up and just kept it. No, I don't want your beat to crap pick up for trade, or a couple of broken down tree wheelers, or their dad's abused 12 gauge.

It's another reason I don't give out my address to tire kickers who want to scope out your garage for a future visit while your at work.

90% of the calls I get on my C/L ads are scammers. Now they want to pay with PayPal without even looking at my what ever it is I'm selling. They always text me saying they will send payment and then have their driver come by and pick it up. Then once they have it I guess they will file a dispute with PP getting their money back. I just say come by with cash and we'll talk face to face. Never hear back from them.
I like them coming to my property then they have to deal with me and my gun on my terms.

That scam usually involves a hacked Paypal account. You get the payment, they get the goods, then once the genuine owner of the Paypal account discovers the payment, which can be days or weeks later, they file a claim and Paypal takes the money back.

Yep- cash only on CL sales. Period.

Meet at wal-mart.

Maybe not even "your" wal-mart.

Bring a friend.

I personally will have people meet me at my house depending on what it is BUT I only deal with people that call me. I don't let them email or text...you must call. If I can't understand you, you sound like a douche, or act like a douche on the phone...have a nice day i am done with you.

I don't own a gun (yet) so for now I bring my switch blade...If you're attacking me I will be able to stab you...

Several years ago I advertised a 72 Challenger for parts and it was clear in the pics that there was no glass in the car at all and even made note of that AND no suspension and some guy showed up with a wrecker to haul it off and then got mad because he needed a roll back instead of a regular wrecker. Asked him if he bothered to read the ad and he got madder until I got up from my lawn chair (was taking a break in the front of the shop) and picked up my 12ga shot gun that was lurking in the corner. It's really funny how people change their attitude when fire arms get involved lol.

And kudos to you Prop not letting the moron dad put his son in harms way. It's hard to believe what some parents are willing to do to their kids. I've also had to shut down a few sales over the years because of some moron that has no clue of what they are about to get into. I don't mind letting stooopid people reduce the gene pool but when it involves kids, I also draw the line. I will also try to help someone that's new to bikes or fast cars to understand what can happen and how dangerous they are when they are sincere and have a good attitude about it and show that they actually have some common sense about things.....but I still like to laugh at the morons :D

Sonny would not know were to start.....from a guy and his wife that claimed their 2 or 3 year old had cancer ( a lie) 1 of 4 kids ....trying to get the price lower......I ended up believing the story, and ended up giving the boat motor and trailer to them for
...free,....:iamwithstupid:

later to find out he put it on e bay auction.....my neighbor went to check it out and said..."it's your old boat" and he had 3 boats for sale!.....need I say more???

I was in tears when the kids came to look at the boat (buyers), thinking what a lucky guy I am not to have a child with a devastating illness!

I'll meet them on my property but Never let them inside.
Yep some people should not be allowed to breed.

Okay I got the mother load of crazies! This last summer when I was trying to sell my GTO JUDGE, I listed the car on Craigslist. The car sold in a couple of weeks, so no problem with me. I started getting emails immediately about the car sale, but some guy kept emailing me with questions and all types of concerns. So I started with the first guy who emailed, as I always do. I eventually made it to the guy, and he emailed back almost instantaneously. I answered his questions and asked what he was offering for the car, as I was taking offers. He took a couple days to respond, given that I had sold cars before I kinda expected that he was just a tire kicker. Well he eventually emailed back with an offer. He offered me an X Box?!?!?!? I mean what the f*ck, it wasn't even the current model, but an outdated used 360. For a real phs documented JUDGE, with every book that came with the car EVER. I swear this was one of the best documented cars out there, and for a pretty cheap price. So I tell him that I'm not interested, and he emails back with some type of weird response. He wasn't quite insulting me, but it was clear that he had problems with my rejection. SO I basically told him to pound sand and to stop offering me crap. Then he basically tells me that my car is worthless and that I was lucky to get an offer as good as his. By this time I had already sold the car for my slightly lowered asking price, so I emailed him back and told him the great news about how he didn't have to worry his stupid little head about me selling it. Then he comes back with some crazy email about my mother and how I am a piece of ----, and how he was going to find me, and that he was a real buyer. Mind you I ALREADY SOLD THE CAR AND TOLD HIM ABOUT IT! I tell him to stop, and he comes back with some email that I never opened with some attachments in it. Given that as other hobby, I 419 bait. I had a feeling what was in the letter, and had no desire to see what was in it. So far it has been a couple of weeks and he hasn't responded.

By the was djais1801, your car is worth more than $12,000. The car was well built, at least $14,000. I would recommend adding a '71 airgrabber bubble to the car if it still hasn't sold by next week. For the $300 dollar investment for just the fiberglass bubble and cutting the hole by using the template, it is worth it in spades. People seem to like it a lot more and it adds to the cool factor. Plus if you buy just the bubble (it comes with the airgrabber door), than the buyer can add the remaining more expensive parts later. I really like the car it's a wonder why it hasn't sold, the pictures in your Craigslist ad were much better than anything I've ever done, I don't think I could ever turn out something as sharp with my limited budget.

Too many times people wanted to meet half way between me and them and too many times got left sitting there waiting for no one so that doesn't happen anymore but have met others whenever there was jewelry involved but will only meet at MY bank which is just around the corner and am never unarmed when my wife and I do that.

I've actually had good success the few times I've sold or bought stuff on Craigslist...
I had allot more issues, being not very well represented or
crap or rude people with E-Scam/Flea Bay,
allot more than Craigslist... maybe it's just me...LOL

Now that I live in the sticks, I rarely sell anything anymore, people are lazy &/or don't want to travel any real distance, to buy or even look it seems...

I always look in person 1st unless it's someone I know/"TRUST",
I usually won't buy anything site unseen, from a private party...

I rarely sell anything any more, I hate E-Scam now, because of all the above reasons,
when & if I do sell or buy anything, off any site...
I only will give my address or allow people to come here,
to those that I deem trustworthy, seem to be upstanding sounding people,
or if I know them from a forum or something...
IMHFO you can tell allot over the phone "most of the time",
you can get a vibe from the other people & it's done/proved pretty well for me...

I really don't like most people, that I don't know coming to my place,
I don't let them in the garage or house either, even to use the restroom &
unless they seem like nice people, I don't look like low-ballers, cheap-a$$ price shoppers,
tire kickers that never have the $$$ {that's my price deal with it or buy somewhere else},
you know the scumbags, flippers, constant negotiators, trying to get something for nothing always...
Then there's the people that think their old rusty junk is worth it's weight in gold mentality or those that sound/look like scammers or plain a--holes, usually can tell pretty quickly...
& I'm usually very well protected too, they are usually weeded out pretty quickly...

I use to do the "meet in a parking lot" deal allot too...
Usually with a friend or .45acp back-up...
Buying or selling, especially buying big $$$ items,
they know you have money on you...

Now I just don't bother with people that don't seem trustworthy,
that I can't get their contact info upfront 1st, via E-Mail or phone contact etc.
then will let them come to my home, only usually they are straight up honest sounding,
if they are on the up & up or that I don't know them or that I can talk to 1st...

The rest just aren't worth my time...
I don't kneed it or cars etc. that bad,
the money or the parts/car/motorcycle/tools etc....

Damn, it sounds like I'm turning into my ol'dad/granddad...

Too many times people wanted to meet half way between me and them and too many times got left sitting there waiting for no one so that doesn't happen anymore but have met others whenever there was jewelry involved but will only meet at MY bank which is just around the corner and am never unarmed when my wife and I do that.

Good idea, but when it's a car I meet at somebody's house. It gives me the extra security of knowing that at least I have an address if the police com a knocking, asking about a stolen car.

And kudos to you Prop not letting the moron dad put his son in harms way. It's hard to believe what some parents are willing to do to their kids. I've also had to shut down a few sales over the years because of some moron that has no clue of what they are about to get into. I don't mind letting stooopid people reduce the gene pool but when it involves kids, I also draw the line. I will also try to help someone that's new to bikes or fast cars to understand what can happen and how dangerous they are when they are sincere and have a good attitude about it and show that they actually have some common sense about things.....but I still like to laugh at the morons :D

Good to know there are other decent folks out there, like you and the others on here that have the morale fabric to make the right decisions. Seeing a parent put their own kids welfare in limbo over there own self justification & ego is honestly disgusting to see. Makes a guy just want to knock'em out of their boots.

Sonny would not know were to start.....from a guy and his wife that claimed their 2 or 3 year old had cancer ( a lie) 1 of 4 kids ....trying to get the price lower......I ended up believing the story, and ended up giving the boat motor and trailer to them for
...free,....:iamwithstupid:

later to find out he put it on e bay auction.....my neighbor went to check it out and said..."it's your old boat" and he had 3 boats for sale!.....need I say more???

I was in tears when the kids came to look at the boat (buyers), thinking what a lucky guy I am not to have a child with a devastating illness!

Wow..that is absolutely hideous. Talk about being the sludge at the bottom of the dumpster. To involve your own offspring in something like that. Unreal, just plain evil.

Had the 'my kid is sick' story before too and just replied to them that they don't need to be buying toys for themselves then. It usually pisses them off but if they don't get pissed and keep on going with the sad story the next question is what hospital are they using or where can I go visit them and try to offer some cheer or make a donation in their name. They usually end up with some kind of lame excuse why that can't happen and leave. Heard a lot of crap in my 63 years of life on this rock....

Some years ago I had a 75 Trans Am, 400 4 speed, made a real nice winter beater. Anyway, sold it to a young man who picked it up on a Friday evening. He pulled out of my driveway, went the half mile up the street to the county highway. He then wound it up and did three doughnuts in the intersection and red lined it through the gears up the road. Saw him the next day and he got all up in my face about how the motor was knocking and was junk. Told him it was no surprise based on the way he drove it when he left the house the night before. He did put a different motor in it, and about a month after that he was drunk and parked it in some woods. About the only body panel not bent was the rear quarter I had put on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back