• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crankshaft carnage

Rusty 72

Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
So my 318ci had a knocking. Surprisingly it didn’t sound horrid, but sadly was damaging. This is the picture of what a spun rod bearing looks like. I can’t help wonder if the broken bits of valve stem seals that had almost completely covered the oil pickup had a hand in this. When started it always had 30-40psi of oil pressure but then would dwindle to about 5-10psi at idle when hot.
Soooo I pulled it and have a used 360magnum I’m gonna put in its place. I guess my question is what to do with the 318? Not that I’m a hoarder but I hate to just throw it away? I know it’s not desirable but maybe could be used for a stroker in the future in another project? Or am I just being sentimental?
Thoughts?
Thanks Jeanette

6BB825C8-E043-4636-9221-3B89AC85AD1A.jpeg

That really looks like the rod was bent as well. Have it measured by a machinist to help make your choice. Normally you need meat on the load side for a stroker, and yours is wiped off, so it may well be junk. HTH, Lefty71

If you have the room keep the block and toss the rest

So my 318ci had a knocking. Surprisingly it didn’t sound horrid, but sadly was damaging. This is the picture of what a spun rod bearing looks like. I can’t help wonder if the broken bits of valve stem seals that had almost completely covered the oil pickup had a hand in this. When started it always had 30-40psi of oil pressure but then would dwindle to about 5-10psi at idle when hot.
Soooo I pulled it and have a used 360magnum I’m gonna put in its place. I guess my question is what to do with the 318? Not that I’m a hoarder but I hate to just throw it away? I know it’s not desirable but maybe could be used for a stroker in the future in another project? Or am I just being sentimental?
Thoughts?
Thanks Jeanette

View attachment 891526
Make sure you use the 360 torque converter also as the 360 is externally balanced.

The cost exceeding the value was exactly what I was thinking too. Good to know 69Bee that it is possible to save it. I'll stuff it in a corner until I decide what to do.

Yes I do know they're balanced differently. I'm using the magnum flexplate so I think that clears the way for me to use the 318 torque converter.

IMO there is nothing left worth saving. Kinda like a /6, cool but...
340-360-383-400-426-440 different story.

I'd hang onto it. 318's are underrated. Plus, you never know if it'll come in handy in the future.
Over the years I've gotten rid of a lot of parts I wish I had now.

Yep everybodys just dying to put a 318 in their Road Runner. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good little engine but there’s literally millions setting around.

Ceedawg, I hear you. My point was, you never know.
And, I really am thrilled with the 318 in my '69 Coronet. My first 318 and I was pleasantly surprised.

Ceedawg, I hear you. My point was, you never know.
And, I really am thrilled with the 318 in my '69 Coronet. My first 318 and I was pleasantly surprised.
I hear ya, still got 4-5 laying around too

Auto Transport Service
Back