• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cross Ram Jetting and Tuning

So I drove 4 1/2 hrs to find they cancelled the show that morning. I wanted to give my wagon a good shakedown run as its a fresh engine, EFI, A/C. About half way home the 6yo 100 amp alternator seized, breaking the belt which also drove the water pump. My buddy hauled my trailer and we transported the wagon home. New alt. she back on the road. And...no pizza stop.

So I drove 4 1/2 hrs to find they cancelled the show that morning. I wanted to give my wagon a good shakedown run as its a fresh engine, EFI, A/C. About half way home the 6yo 100 amp alternator seized, breaking the belt which also drove the water pump. My buddy hauled my trailer and we transported the wagon home. New alt. she back on the road. And...no pizza stop.

Well heck that was a bummer
Hopefully the next show wont get cancelled (especially on the morning of the show wth)
Im working on the next DOE (Design of Experiments) treatment but should have something to report tomorrow!
Glad you got home ok

Thanks. I enjoy road trips anyway. I'm looking forward to hearing about your next round of tuninng. Good luck!

Hi Ernesto!
Heres an update finally
I had a delay in progress due to a dead battery (now replaced) and finding a set of .028 idle restrictors.

Got everything installed and now runs amazing! I think I have a bit more tuning to do but its real close!

Ok I will expect some reduced MPG (not that we are concerned !) since mine is 4:11 and the venerable hemi 4 speed.

i will report!

Hi Ernesto
Finally took the car out for something more than just around the block. Runs really good but Im still rich slightly at idle. I have the .028 IFR in now
Going to try and adjust idle mixture leaner and go for another ride

Niiiiice. Its a great feeling when you get them carbs correct.
Im thiiiiissssss close
Plugs still a bit more black than charcoal but Im FOR SURE headed the right direction. Worst case I have some .025” IFR I can throw at it

If the .025 IFRs are too lean you can drill the .028s to either .026 or .027. I have the sizes if you need them.

If the .025 IFRs are too lean you can drill the .028s to either .026 or .027. I have the sizes if you need them.
I agree! I also bought one of those tiny drill sets so if the .025 is too lean we can enlarge one size at a time.

I agree! I also bought one of those tiny drill sets so if the .025 is too lean we can enlarge one size at a time.
Hi Ernesto
I have the IFRs changed to .025”. I havent driven it yet but interestingly I had to open the carb idle mixture screws to even get the car to start. I think I should be in tuning mode now and may have to add the Air/Fuel and O2 sensor after this. Ill take it for a spin today or tomorrow when it warms up a bit and send a report

Sounds like your close. If I didn't mention it before, you can also fine tune using the idle air bleeds if necessary. I'm a big proponent of the wide band gauge. Along with plug reading, it gets you there sooner. Looking forward to the results.

Sounds like your close. If I didn't mention it before, you can also fine tune using the idle air bleeds if necessary. I'm a big proponent of the wide band gauge. Along with plug reading, it gets you there sooner. Looking forward to the results.
Hi Ernesto
The A/F wideband is sitting on top of my toolbox and ready to install.
I think with the latest IFR change I should be just about out of ‘caveman’ tuning and on to a more data based approach- or at least I hope so!

My wideband sat for at least a month before I got around to installing it. I've been there.

My wideband sat for at least a month before I got around to installing it. I've been there.
Hi Ernesto
Finally took it out for a test cruise. Starts and runs good and voila my plugs are tan now not a sooty mess. I will get that wideband installed to be able to continue tuning progress. Sincere thanks for all your help and encouragement!!

THE factory crossrams have a very specific jetting configuration, beings the carbs are sitting sideways. mopar determined because of the jet wells in the carbs -the jets on the forward sides of the carbs are not as rich as the rear sides(firewall sides)=rear side jets are bigger that front side jets, the step rods are also different in sizes front (radiator side), than the rears. many may argue this with 4 corner jetting as if the carbs are facing forward. I think I still have the correct jetting chart which because of the CID and cams may be extrapolated upwards. I bought a '63 Plymouth 426 SS car new, played with them until mid 90's.

Auto Transport Service
Back