• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cross Ram Jetting and Tuning

540 XRAM

Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to the site but been watching for a while.

I was hoping someone can give me guidance on jetting a cross ram.

The engine is a 540 cu. in. with Victor Max Wedge Heads. Compression is 10:1 for pump gas. Cam is 648 lift solid roller. Carbs are 750 Edelbrocks.

Looking for a starting point. Should be putting it on the Dyno within the next month to tune it and see where the numbers come in at.

Also was curious about which jets to change based on burn in different cylinders. I have heard about all kinds of funky jetting for these intakes but hopefully someone can help educate me so we can get it dialed in while on the Dyno.

Thank for any input!

Ohhhh this will be going in my '62 Dodge that I have been restoring for 6 years now and its finally getting close. Hoping to be driving it this summer!

ATTACH]
IMG_3093_zpsdj2xypw3.jpg

IMG_1927_zpsinolkfay.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3093_zpsdj2xypw3.jpg
    IMG_3093_zpsdj2xypw3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 91
If the Edelbrocks are 1407's you are going to be real close,a wide band and the Dyno will tell you where to go.

If the Edelbrocks are 1407's you are going to be real close,a wide band and the Dyno will tell you where to go.

They are actually 9910's. Probably the same thing as the 1407's except the ridiculous chrome finish.

#9910 doesn't compute. Correct # will start with 14 and be imprinted on the left front of the baseplate, facing the front of the carb. The stock jetting of the 750s will be real close, as 62Max said. The staggered jetting is for wide open throttle in race situations and has nothing to do with a motor that will be street driven. Nice looking motor and car.

#9910 doesn't compute. Correct # will start with 14 and be imprinted on the left front of the baseplate, facing the front of the carb. The stock jetting of the 750s will be real close, as 62Max said. The staggered jetting is for wide open throttle in race situations and has nothing to do with a motor that will be street driven. Nice looking motor and car.
It's a reconditioned #1410 Marine Carb
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/edl-9910

It's a reconditioned #1410 Marine Carb
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/edl-9910

Correct it's a 750 marine carb. They just have a more natural finish on them. I can't stand those chrome Edelbrocks.

I am building it as a street strip car so it will see plenty of wide open throttle that's why I was asking about the cross jetting. As much as I didn't want to, I put a roll bar in the car and have 30x9 slicks under it. Surely one wouldn't need a 540 in a street car....

Other specs on the engine is a '64 Stage 3 cross ram. T&D roller rockers. Comp solid roller cam. Mopar Performance Siamese bore block with cross bolted main caps. 4.500 bore. JE forged Pistons. Manley rods. Scat 4.250 crank. Hmmmm... And lots of race hemi Orange paint! Carbs are on it now and valve covers got painted today. Getting close. I can't wait. I have been collecting these engine parts for this car for 6 years so it's nice to finally have it come together!

540XRAM: "Surely one wouldn't need a 540 in a street car."
I think a lot of members would disagree with this statement. At any rate, out of the 1976 Direct-Connection Racing Manual:
1963 Stage III 426 Super Stock cars with the 3447 Carter carbs:
Main jets: Primary = .098"
Secondary = .082"
Step-up (metering) rods: .068 X .050
For the 1964 426 Max. Wedge cars with the 3705 Carter carbs:
Main jets: Primary = .104"
Secondary = Choke side .063" Throttle side .089"
Step-up (metering) rods: .066" X .053"
Also, on these carbs (the 3705s), the recommended float setting changes from 7/16" to 7/32"

I ran a cross ram equipped race car for many years. -1 heads, 498, .660" roller, 750 Eddys jetted per the above chart from the Mopar manual. Worked excellent. Won many races with it

Lickity split 63.jpg

Looking forward to seeing another '62 around here - especially with 540 cubes of awesome!!

Good luck with the Dyno numbers...

Last edited:
Couple updates. The carbs are actually 1410s not 9910s like I said before. Same thing but new instead of reman...

IMG_3110_zps6guoouzh.jpg

I am loving the valve cover clearance with the exhaust manifolds in place. Hoping I can get the valve covers off to adjust valves without having to take the exhaust manifolds off. Haven't had a chance to try removing the valve covers with the manifolds on yet but it does look promising!

IMG_3117.jpg_zpsxd0ojpnb.png

Getting close!

IMG_3108_zpsg3abfjrs.jpg

That thing is a beast...are you going to run it on a engine or chassis dyno and what are you bolting it up to a 727 or 3/4 Speed trans?

That thing is a beast...are you going to run it on a engine or chassis dyno and what are you bolting it up to a 727 or 3/4 Speed trans?

Going on an engine dyno. I have a '65 727 going behind it. Still going to be pushing the buttons!

I have a similar intake on a 472 cu in Hemi.
Thing runs great with your foot in it but is still really rich at idle and fouls the plugs
This has the correct 770 vac secondary carbs. Any suggestions to tame the beast (clean up the idle) appreciated!

This is an old thread but I have had success with modifying the carbs to be adjustable. I drilled, tapped for screw-in brass "jets" for the idle fuel restrictors (IFR) idle air bleeds (IAB). I have the late Mopar crossram with the 770 cfm carbs on a 472 Hemi with a 5 speed. I purchased the small pin drill bits to customize the "jet" sizes along with a pin gauge set to measure the "jets". The best aids to tuning the carbs was adding an AEM wideband gauge and spark plug readings to observe my progress. It took quite a few sessions changing IFR and IAB. If you go down this road make sure you measure and record all your original settings. I read as much as I could find about crossram tuning. There isn't a ton of helpful info. There is a member here Fran Blacker who steered me in the right direction with what needs to be done to the carbs. It's a very good feeling when you finally get them tuned correctly.

Thanks very much for that advice!
Ive started down that road. I have the screw in idle fuel restrictors but havent tried IAB yet.

i will keep good notes

QUOTE="64 Sportfury, post: 911987575, member: 8037"]This is an old thread but I have had success with modifying the carbs to be adjustable. I drilled, tapped for screw-in brass "jets" for the idle fuel restrictors (IFR) idle air bleeds (IAB). I have the late Mopar crossram with the 770 cfm carbs on a 472 Hemi with a 5 speed. I purchased the small pin drill bits to customize the "jet" sizes along with a pin gauge set to measure the "jets". The best aids to tuning the carbs was adding an AEM wideband gauge and spark plug readings to observe my progress. It took quite a few sessions changing IFR and IAB. If you go down this road make sure you measure and record all your original settings. I read as much as I could find about crossram tuning. There isn't a ton of helpful info. There is a member here Fran Blacker who steered me in the right direction with what needs to be done to the carbs. It's a very good feeling when you finally get them tuned correctly.[/QUOTE]

Auto Transport Service
Back