• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious for Opinions Here - What Percentage of Project Cars Actually Get Completed?

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
I realize it's impossible to get actual, tangible and verifiable data on this subject, but I am curious:
How many project cars actually wind up getting done in the hobby?
The ones that wind up abandoned or otherwise sold incomplete - how many times do you think they
change hands over time?
Just curious for opinions here - there's no "right" answer.

Any of my project cars? 100% completion rate.
I'm too stubborn and proud to give up.
So far I'm 1 for 1...

I've never abandoned a project car and I always give myself one year max to complete them. Nothing pains me more than seeing a Mopar get ripped apart and then sit for 10 or 20 years while parts get lost and damaged.
My last 2 Challengers came to me as incomplete projects, one by the original, well intentioned builder and the next one had been through two flipper type builders.
I think some guys do more talking about their projects than work, but their projects to do with as they wish I guess and I finish cars but it seems like I end up selling them within a few years of completing them so maybe I enjoy doing the work more than enjoying the results.

Any of my project cars? 100% completion rate.
I'm too stubborn and proud to give up.
So far I'm 1 for 1...
Great - how about in the hobby in general, though?

I've never abandoned a project car and I always give myself one year max to complete them. Nothing pains me more than seeing a Mopar get ripped apart and then sit for 10 or 20 years while parts get lost and damaged.
My last 2 Challengers came to me as incomplete projects, one by the original, well intentioned builder and the next one had been through two flipper type builders.
I think some guys do more talking about their projects than work, but their projects to do with as they wish I guess and I finish cars but it seems like I end up selling them within a few years of completing them so maybe I enjoy doing the work more than enjoying the results.
Ah - the journey, not the destination then. :thumbsup:

Great - how about in the hobby in general, though?
Well as you said "who knows"?
It's obviously going to be higher during hard financial times, or for cars that have parts that are scarce or very expensive.
It's probably different depending on the demographic too. Young, wealthy guys wanting a cool car, buying it thinking it will be easy and losing interest when they find It's hard work, middle aged guys wanting a project to complete with their kids, probably more likely to see it through?

Good thread,
I think that number will float / change by area of the country.
Rural area like we are here , 4 months of what can be tuff winter. The southern areas have more ( car weather ) so in my pea brain more incentive.
Around here I'm going to guess mabey 25%
After working for years in the body shop biz I have seen many stalled projects.
The prices / expenses I do think halt more projects now than previous decades.

Had a '59 Imperial. The guy I bought it from pulled it from a barn it was sitting in since 1978. He had the engine and transmission rebuilt, radiator & heater core recored, and a few other things. Had shoulder surgery & couldn't take it any farther. I bought it. I installed said engine & transmission, rebuilt the 2-piece drive shaft, redid brakes all around, rebuilt the generator, and lots of sand blasting & powder coating. I ended up selling it to a guy in Texas that finished it -- interior and all. It got done, but under 3 owners. Here it was as I sold it.

Our59.jpg

I finish 90%+ of mine. If I don't, it's because somebody wanted the car more than myself.
I'm gonna finish my last-project, this summer. Too difficult for me to manage the physical work, between my age and torn-up body.

Last edited:
Ah - the journey, not the destination then.
My Ford buddy Scott is five for five, but he had a time advantage over many, when he wasn't working the family farm after harvest season. Now that he's working full time for a local heavy towing outfit, he's not taking on any new ones, and has been actively trying to thin the herd. My own track record is the opposite. I've only ever owned one project car, one of the four red '69 GTXs I've had through the decades. It was a complete, documented, 49,000 mile car that had always been garaged, was in a restoration shop, and close to completion, when the previous owner went broke during the 2008 financial downturn.

I ended up selling it to another Mopar guy locally when I got Baby Blue back in 2013. After three years of sitting in the shop with nothing happening, it looked like it would soon be finished. The new owner had completed some really nice Mopar projects in recent years. That car seems to have a dark cloud over it. The new owner succumbed to cancer a year into the restoration. The guy who owned the shop that did my truck repairs was going to buy it next, widow wouldn't sell it, and then he passed a year later.

In the meantime, a teenage nephew of the widow decided he "wanted to fix it up someday." So 17 years after the car came out of a decades long hibernation in a Scranton, PA garage it's still unfinished.

I have done one ground up restoration project, that I originally estimated would take 3 years to complete. I had the car together and running about 16 years later, and maybe another 2 years before I had some issues fixed, and detailed it enough to enter in OE judging. 3 shops and close to 3 times my original cost estimates by the time it was done.
I don't think I could take on another restoration project as I don't know if I'll live long enough to see it completed......
A related and perhaps even more relevant topic would be asking how many "I'm gonna restore it someday" cars that people see sitting in garages and storage, and even outside, actually ever get restored by their long time owners? In the storage building where my "I'm going to sell it someday" '71 V code Challenger R/T has been stored most of the last 7 years, there is a gator grain top Challenger T/A that has been there for 30 years. I was just thinking about this subject, as a friend of mine asked me to find out if the owner might sell it so he can restore it. I talked to the manager of the building the other day about it, he says many have asked but the owner, who he thinks is in his early 60s now, is adamant he will restore it someday. Cars like that are everywhere it seems. Some outside, and often rotted beyond any hope of restoration by the time the owner finally lets it go. A loaded 71 Challenger R/T 340 and a 70 V code Mr Norms sold Challenger are 2 examples that each were within 5 or 6 miles of my house, sitting outside dying slow deaths.

Last edited:
I think there's more " I'll get started on it one day" cars, than cars in progress. Cars that sit... and sit... and sit.

Envy the people who have several cars having one or two in active resto and/or others on-deck. I couldn’t manage this and keep my sanity. I’ve done one at a time, my first was the huge help from my talented now departed dad when my time and cash were limited and years later doing two more…one at a time. Just too many other projects always need doing, even being retired for two-years. The close car buds I have completed their rides. Others I know have driven theirs for eons pretty much unrestored and having another ride or two needing resto. They don’t mind the ‘wait’ they have, they get to restoration when they have the cash, parts, and/or time. My last restoration was a work in process, in pretty nice shape, drivable most of the time until going all-out restoring 20-years after I bought it.

If I had to guess the percentage – lol, I can’t.

Let's see:
- 1973 Road Runner - restored and finished.
- 1970 Road Runner - restored and finished
- 1960 Corvette - restoration in progress, then traded for my father-in-law's unrestored 1962 Corvette
- Helped with a buddy's 1965 Mustang - restored and finished and then later sold for a 1967 GTX (traded up!)
- Helping with my buddy's 1967 GTX - restoration in progress for 2 years, but making steady and continual progress. Should be done 2025
- 1969 Corvette - not getting restored, but bought as a non-runner to become a daily driver. Now running, but not yet ready for daily driving.

So I guess I'll say I see through most of the projects I have been involved with.

BUT: Most of the folks on this forum are pretty intense car people and are much more likely to get cars done. If you could poll the 1000's of car owners who "will get it done some day", I would guess more than 50% of car projects do not get done.

I’ve bought a lot of non-performance transportation type projects over the years, I would say close to 100% completion rate. Meaning that I fixed them up enough to be useful for me or my family or to resell.

I bought a Challenger a couple years ago, and after having it for a few months realized I didn’t have the time or space to get it done so I sold it.

I’ve owned my Charger for 42 years and it won’t ever be complete, but that doesn’t stop me from driving and racing it.

Miles Davis said something along the lines that it’s Gods trick, that when it finally seems your life is perfect, you are out of time.

I see a lot of projects that if I were 20 years younger and with the resources I have now I would buy.
But I don’t feel like spending my remaining years on them now.

Probably need to define what is a "project" car and what is "done".

My 73 was derivable and road worthy when I got it, but has had the engine removed and painted, the rest of the body painted, the brakes rebuilt, the front suspension partially rebuilt, the interior redone, and some optional equipment added.

There are still a few things on the "to do" list but it certainly could be considered "done".

I'll go 50/50, though in general.

Last edited:
At 66 I have one more to do.
It is my mother's 53 ford Sunliner
It is more of a refresh than complete project.
Flat 8 , 2 speed auto, power steering , all factory options, the top is power also.
The car has sat for 10, 12 years.
No critters, 70s crap paint, nice top & interior , tired engine. Decent chrome and stainless.
I need to get it up and running , I know she would like to drive it again.
At 88 she still lives on her own.
I need to get my *** in gear this summer.

My project cars have an 80% finishing rate as of now...

70 Satellite took 3 years from 2007-2010 and have been driving it ever since...

69 Dart took 3 1/2 years from 2010 to 2014 and have been driving it ever since...

72 Duster took 2 1/2 years from 2016 to late 2018 and have been driving it since...

65 Coronet AWB car has taken 12 years...It is now painted and running waiting on lettering and a few other small things to be completed and should be driving it by Memorial Day...

Then there is the 65 Belvedere II...1st car I bought in 2004 and worked on till 2007...It is an ongoing project that I still buy parts for when they show up...It has been on the back burner since 2007...Plan is to start back on it in the fall now that the Coronet is nearly finished...

I only have room for those 5 cars and tags and insurance on 3 now soon to be 4 is a PITA...

Might consider thinning the herd in the fall but deciding which one to let go of will be hard...

4 Carlisle 2013.jpg

0825181558.jpg

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

10 Rolling again.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back